I was specific in what I quoted from the OP when I applied my reasoning.

I'm not arguing with *you*, Pat. I was simply pointing out that an instrument that only allowed certain notes would diminish the musical experience and growth.

I understand your point, which is different than what I was responding to. I thought you grouped my point into the 'technology' argument and I wanted to clarify the point I was making. Nothing to do with technology. More about learning.

However, I will still stand by the concept that in BiaB someone with the knowledge of music theory and scales will end up with a better product than someone just punching in chords. Just the other day Mac (I think) pointed out when someone was trying to notate a chord in an extended way, and really, simply putting in a different very basic chord would have worked (most likely) since it had the notes and fundamentals of the chord. This was due to his understanding of chords and scales in the theory department. That knowledge is important.
It's not a crutch if you know what you are doing; it's a tool. If you are fumbling away and not learning anything then yes it is a crutch in the long run since it is holding you back from developing.
Just my opinion..

It could still be a *fun* thing for sure. But a crutch none the less.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome