Quote:

We've only seen these larger numbers of available guitars, lots of imports, etc. for about a decade. Tomato, Tomahto, it is a boom and booms have a tendency to fade out. -Mac

I don't get where you're coming from. I beg to differ. This "boom," as you have now redefined it, has lasted for decades. What is going on today is the extension of a long-term trend supported by market numbers. No fad. Questionable boom, which I associate with a relatively short five- to ten-year trend such as in the stock market, real estate, or the Gold Rush.

In the '60s we were flooded with cheap experiments from Italy, Sweden, and most especially Japan (loss leaders which were price supported by Japan, Inc.). In the '70s Japan began to come with reasonably priced copies and original models. Today an Ibanez Steve Vai model sells for $1700 and the low-end gear comes from Mexico, Korea, and China. Lots of it.

I attribute this to the continued popularity of the instrument along with population growth. Synths abound, but pop music is still dominated by the guitar. My son has a quality Fender-made Squier Strat because his father played a Strat copy. I expect the interest to continue within the family, and for one of my grandchildren to get my Alvarez-Yairi D-41 copy (after proving themselves on a series of less-expensive axes). This is being repeated all over the world, and doesn't include new buyers, of whom there are plenty.

But can I get a couple of pounds of whatever you're smoking?

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."