Interesting and multi-faceted discussion. Personally I would not help anyone hack software or movies or recordings, and it lowers my opinion of a person when I see that they use hacked materials. I bought my first copy of BIAB years ago and have bought all updates since. It was a very inexpensive program originally, but has gotten more spendy (as they say here in Oregon) as it has gotten better over time. As a Macintosh user I thought for a while that usable development for me had come to an end, but the current form is great and very usable. My main software, Digital Performer, uses an i-lok key for registration and security and I have only experienced minor problems with that. Almost all these companies (BIAB, MOTO, CUBASE, ETC. and even ADOBE-photoshop, have gone to yearly and semi-yearly updates to generate a steady income stream that enables continuation and development of their programs.

I have a different opinion concerning song copyrights, the original laws were intended to protect usage for 20-30 years but vested interests (relatives and publishers) have continually lobbied congress to extend these copyrights for what seems like perpetuity. Of course, countries like China and others have no such laws and no uniform court and legal system of enforcement. So as the economy goes global such things are even more clouded.

Regarding online aliases. I think people should be required to register under their own names, and avatars etc. should only be for fantasy and dating sites where it makes sense. They have done this at the JUST PLAIN FOLKS website just by request of the founder and the spam has decreased and the courtesy level has increased.

As to political correctness, humor is one thing and mean-spiritedness is another. Usually but not always it's possible to tell the difference. Also as our world and awareness changes we have to change to. Often humor is used to mask or fears and dislike of a group. There was a rash of French jokes when they didn't want to join in the Iraq War. I hear a lot of Muslim jokes and towel-head jokes and comments which I don't think are funny. But you also hear Irish telling Irish jokes etc. So it's the context and the perceived intent (humor or denigration) that makes a difference. Some people are just not aware that making jokes about mental and physical handicaps is a thing of the past. If you go to a Comedy Club you check your political correctness at the door (for the most part) but if you want to post up Uncle Bobs joke that got a laugh at the bar you may get an earful of PC in return.