Quote:

No, I think I get you. So, this isn't really sequencing software, per se?

Real band *IS* midi sequencing software, but it also has features that extend wayy beyond what most sequencers can do. Those of us who love the software do so because of all the unique features that simply do not exist in any other sequencing software

Quote:

I can't edit the chord voicings or the rhythms, just pick and choose from what RB generates?

RealBand can mix audio and midi. The MIDI portion of your songs can be edited totally, same as in any other sequencing software. The audio parts are somewhat more limited where editing is concerned. RB generates passages that fit your chords and tempo. Generated output won't always be the same, so you can generate a bunch of tracks for the same passage, then pick the best passage (much like recording multiple takes with a live musician)

If you have melodyne, you can edit the generated audio tracks quite a bit, but such audio editing tools are not a part of the RB package.

Quote:

But I can also add MIDI files in along with the realtracks, and output the MIDI file(s), realtrack, and my own recorded input into a functioning stereo recording?

Yes. And that's exactly what most of us do with this software. You can also import MP3s and align the audio with the MIDI grid very easily. This is useful for learning or recreating cover songs. I haven't found any other software that tempo maps audio and MIDI as well as this software

Quote:

I'm coming from some sequencing background in the past, and I'm lured by the idea of arranging/sequencing with real sounds.

Indeed! it is very cool, and a lot of fun! I think you'll like it!

Quote:

If I can add MIDI sounds into the mix, all the better. Of course, the important part is being able to record my own guitar playing along with all of this.

if that's what you want to do, Real Band 2011 is a perfect match for your needs!

Quote:

Am I shooting in the right direction?

not only shooting in the right direction, you've hit the bull's eye!