Quote:

Thanks guys. I've tried a lot of different stuff today - The trouble is, I've taken that out and it's as if my computer doesn't understand that. Let's see what a reboot now does.

My guess is if you have taken your own advice on the reboot you are fixed. Let me just make the observation that despite differing opinions on this matter, you need to either eject a USB drive of any type or use the safely remove hardware option on the task bar. The first reason is that you can have an open file or folder on the external drive. This may be in a browsing window or it may be something that is open in a program. Either way, pulling the drive with a file open can cause a corrupted disk which makes the entire disk inaccesible later. This close down with a file open seems to be less of a problem in windows than it was with old DOS applications but it is something that I still see from time to time.

The other side of this is also something that it looks like you were smart enough to figure out on your own. Windows is still looking for the thumb drive. Since you didn't eject it, and it has the driver associated with that USB port it is still looking for it. The reboot should solve that. If it doesn't, before you start doing more complicated things, just do a system retore back to a point before you plugged your memory stick into the usb port. That will put things back the way it was before the problem started. If that doesn't work then you can start looking at other things.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti