Quote:

I'd say if you use Windows on the Internet you're dumb...

Couldn't disagree more. I know you and Oren are two of the Jedi Masters of Linux on this forum and that's great. But...In something like 12 years of being on the internet using 4 or 5 different PC's running <gasp> Windows, I've never, ever, not once has a verified virus attack or infection. Same at the office, we have a network and 8 to 12 of us are on the internet all day long using IE and Outlook because we're not allowed to install anything not even Firefox. Between all of us we get around 200 emails a day. Never had any virus problem but we're all required to do our regular workstation updates including MS Essentials. The boss gets really pissed if someone misses an update for more than a couple of days. At home I am careful of what websites I go to, I never open email attachments unless I know for a certainty what's in them and I always have one of the good freebie AV and anti malware softwares installed and use them regularly. I've certainly had my share of various lockup's and glitches but nothing that required me to reinstall Windows. Either I did it or with some help was able to simply fix it and move on. And none of those past problems were verified as a virus.

I believe in insurance though. I have a clone of my system drive sitting right here but you know the old joke about insurance, if you have it you never need it but go without it for one day...

My theory is far too many people think when they have a problem with a BSOD or some kind of lock up they have a virus, freak out, reinstall everything and spend the next year telling everybody how dangerous the internet is. It's mostly bs that frightens old ladies and small children. Something happened totally unrelated to getting a virus, they installed something wrong, there was a glitch in their browser, they powered down in the middle of a critical update, they had 32 windows open, ran out of ram and their system locked up, hadn't defragged is 5 years, whatever. They have no clue how this stuff works so the go-to excuse is "I caught a viru, man, and it totally hosed my system!!!" (cue the whiny crying here and pass the cheese). Look at how many noob's right here post about Biab/RB not doing what they think it should and the first thing they did was to reinstall it when the real problem was a basic config thing. Total waste of time in most cases.

Don't fall for it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.