Quote:

Robh, thanks for the tip as I am contemplating doing this in my bedroom which is the hottest room in the house. I have seen some foil covered styrofoam or some such at a building supply store that I thought would be easier to fit the opening than drywall.

Guys let me save you some time and expense if you have hotter than usual rooms in your home after checking your AC and it's efficiency, the insulation over that room and you are sure the duct-work is not crimped the answer is solar screens, especially on the west side of your home. In fact they are screen fabrics on the market that block up to 90% of the sun's heat while you still maintain your view. Another selling point is that the screen (while you can see out) gives you privacy as you cannot see in unless there is a rather bright back-light in the room.

The way a solar screen works is the old fashion way, and by that I mean it works like an old Oak Tree. The heat collects in the mesh of the fabric then the natural airflow dissipate the heat from the screen. And all of this happens (and this is the reason they work) before the heat actually hits the window. Now radiant barrier insulation contains metal and we all metal not only conducts heat but holds it.

Most energy companies in the US, including the Department of Energy recommend these screens to keep rooms cooler and work your AC less.

PS: The radaint (foil/foam/foil) insulations work great on water heater tanks.

Later,