Quote:

You CANNOT mix down PROPERLY just by moving the volume sliders on your mixing console or in this case RB's software mixer. That is merely for you to adjust your monitor mix, it's not physically changing the levels on each track.

Huh? Sliders change the levels of the track that 'get sent to the mix'. That is how both digital and analog work. When you reduce the slider you reduce the signal out to the mix (or more exact, out from that track); what you hear in your monitor mix IS your mix. It isn't compression or limiting that does it. It's a reduction in the volume for the track output. It's digital.

Output: volumeForTrack=(TrackVolume-slider setting)(if TrackVolume not null)

Slider setting is always a negative number (which is what makes the subtraction symbol safe), meaning compression/limiting requirements drop, if anything. Sliders only 'cut' volume.

So you lost me with the whole sliders thing. Am I supposed to record all tracks at ideal mix volume?
What about signal to noise then?

That's the whole issue with Gain Change; you do boost the noise floor for the track if you boost it using Gain Change. Usually the need to boost it means there is enough signal in the mix already that the noise level is negligible. Depends on need I suppose.
Mixing at -6 is a concept I support.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome