Computer is back from the shop. One hour labor, money well spent.

Final diagnosis was that MalwareBytes got rid of the virus, and thus the repairman didn't know exactly what it was. He doubts it was zbot, but says that so many viruses use similar components and they mutate so quickly that any guess would only be a guess. The malware corrupted 23 files on my HD, mostly INI and DLL files, which he restored. He said it was a good thing I noticed it so quickly, as it seemed that it was intent on corrupting the entire hard drive.

I asked him about the Alt+F4 and he said that it was possible. So from now on, I will do as Mac suggested (thanks Mac) and take the long way around.

I've been computing since the mid 1980s and have been first on AOL and then the web for as long as it has been available here (remember those slow 14.4k modems). I also have had a website since 1996 and since then have been on the Internet every day (except for an annual vacation). This was the first piece of malware that got through.

I'm thinking about changing my AV software. I know that any brand can let things through, but some are better at blocking sites that aren't on the blacklist yet using heuristic analysis. I have the current edition of PC World, and it includes it's annual rating AV software, but as an advertisement based publication, I suspect the ratings could be biased, perhaps unintentionally.

So the question here is, does anyone know of a good, reliable, non-biased site that compares various Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware apps?

If I switch, I'll want to switch to whatever is currently best, knowing that next year it might not be best again.

I've read stories about Linux and Mac OS hacking, so I don't think that is a fail-safe solution, so I'll stay with Windows, but I want to stay as safe as possible.

I've also read that I should create another non-administrator account on my computer, and do all my surfing there except for critical issues like banking which will be done from my administrator account. Is this good advice or just one of those false things that fly around the 'net?

I also read that if I copy and paste my passwords into the fields instead of typing them that it keeps them safe from keyloggers. Makes sense on the surface, but does it really?

Thanks to all the help and advice you all have provided.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks