That's "pretty much" the kind of thing I was getting at, there is a big difference between someone who has the ears to be able to discriminate the various and sometimes subtle musical differences involved in ensemble "multitrack" instrumentation.

That same factor is discussed in the "Less is More" thread, as well.

Often is the case where having an instrument assigned to *EVERY* track available and leaving all those instruments playing throughout the performance inside BB is "too much" IMO.

This reminds me of the situation I encountered decades ago, before there were any computer generated methods, in the old analog studios, when I first was hired to do session work on Trumpet, Keyboards or Guitar for local stuff, nothing very big. Commercials, Demos, Church Groups, etc. were the bread and butter of that little studio.

My first attempts to overdub piano parts, for example, were dismal failures. The problem was that I was attempting to prove something, wading in with two-handed piano renditions that simply were over-played and thus too dense to be of much use.

The old man who owned and operated that little studio as a one-man operation took me aside and into the Control Room, played back the tracks and, while looking directly at me, lowered the Fader that was my piano playing all the way off and, of course, what we heard was an improvement *without* any piano.

Then he told me something that I've tried to keep in mind ever since:

"Put yer left hand in yer pocket and let's try it again!"

I rather sheepishly sat his studios rather amazing sounding little Baldwin spinet piano with the front panels removed and the acoustic rugs covering it and the mics, and proceeded to play with mostly Right Hand Only over the other tracks. It worked much better that way.

From there, I began to have to think about when it is appropriate for the piano to add necessary rhythm or comping and when it would be more necessary for the piano's job to be one of fills, riffs and other enhancements rather than punching out a rhythm that was already there in the thing.

The same situation can happen to us when using BiaB if we are not attuned to hearing such things.

So "too dense" in one aspect or another is the 2nd BB "giveaway" I'm going to mention here.

--Mac