Hi Paul,

Good singing, good intonation, strong power from proper use of air, you may not know this, but that makes you 90% there already.

One can get a lot of mileage out of the clothes closet as vocal booth. You know, the closet with all the wifey's coats and dresses hanging in it.

Push the clothes aside somewhere in the middle of the rack, leaving a space between them to set the mic. The hard wall at back of closet makes the ~50% hard reflection, the two "walls" of the coats and dresses make up the ~50% soft absorption.

Try it before buying anything.

Another method I have used at home, try using horizontal ropes with blankets and/or quilts over them to create a temporary Vocal Booth. Top of blankets should be higher than top of singer's head. This one yields a really "dry" recording that lends itself to application of Ambience effects plugins such as a good sounding reverb.

I know a youngster who placed his only SM58 mic on a boom stand in front of his mattress set upright against the wall in the corner of his bedroom - and produced his first album that way. Sounded good. So be creative and experiment a bit, find what works for you without spending money needlessly. The soundwaves moving in the air won't know the difference.

That's still one of my most favorite old hymns.

And you sang it like you meant it.

Strong Performance.

--Mac