I like Trevor's points. My suggestion to reboot will not fix a problem with BIAB, if indeed this problem is caused by BIAB. I was more suggesting one more diagnostic test.

My experience with teaching about computers predates Microsoft. Heck, I even sold microcomputers to IBM. Windows' architecture has always been susceptible to problems caused by offending programs, even unintentional, because the operation system, applications and data share the same space. I recall a time when BIAB itself had a memory leak problem, and restarting the program throughout the day (described above) absolutely would lead to a crash within a few times of doing so. You would never find this problem unless you left your computer on most of the time. Add to this the constant threat and variability suffered by most PCs (and yes, Macs) from being connected to the Internet.

Every computer tech magazine I read advises the normal user to reboot every so often to clear resources. It isn't the problem it once was but it still exists. The unique systems running only one mission-critical application are supposed to be an exception, but even those may not be as well designed as the one Trevor describes. I ran into this myself when my local bank asked for my help with their ATM program. It would run for a few months and then crash. I simply had them reboot every week, and problem solved. Who knows what it was in the program, but they didn't have to debug it, just side step it.

Most of you know I often answer a question with a question (exactly what were you trying to do, what did you do, what happened, what recently changed, what version, did you update, did you reboot, did you Return to Factory Settings, etc.). Troubleshooting without all these answers can be an exercise in futility. I think we are often lucky that, with so many experienced users here, we are able to recognize situations and provide solutions as often as we do. Every day, I learn something new about this program, and I try to keep track to be able to help others. I know most of you do the same. Every thoughtful response helps.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors