I use the print function regularly, and I use all the repeats, endings and DS functions as well. It can be frustrating and I am with you in thinking that the notation needs an overhaul, or perhaps a seamless interface into one of the dedicated notation utilities. A lot has been said about Music XML, and although I know little about it, it has to be better than we have here. I have always found the fact that BIAB insists on equal bar lengths on a staff to be a problem. The size of the bar should be dynamic, based on the number of notes or number of syllables. A carried whole note doesn't need to take up the same space as a 8 eighth notes or 8 syllables.

But back to the Graham's problem. As long as you create the song (piece of music) in linear form, starting with the intro / lead-in and going through to the outro /final ending, creating a workable fake sheet is possible. It's not necessarily pretty, but you generally don't have to annotate it. I do like to have a song start at the beginning of a staff, and for each ending to similarly start at the beginning of a staff. I also usually try for 4 bar endings for consistency.

My only concession is to use small coloured dots (from the $ store). One at the beginning of a return and one of the same colour at the end of the return. I use a different colour at the beginning of each ending to identify where they start. My practice is to use a third colour for the jump out following a DS al coda, and the same colour to start the coda.

Occasionally songs have two or 3 repeats. I use a fourth colour for that. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Often just red at the beginning, and at the end, and blue for the start of each ending.

With judicious use of bars per line, lines per page and proper repeats, none of my over 300 songs is more than two pages. And the nice thing is that this is generated from the playable BIAB song, so there's no need to create for a separate fake sheet for band members.

I admit it may seem cumbersome, and I would LOVE a better tool to make professional looking sheet music, but I am not holding my breath. PGMusic seems intent on furthering the REAL functions, than looking at the notation. Compared with the other wonderful features, notation is the poor relative who is best not talked about in public.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)