Peter hit send before I did so to ADD to Peters comments NOT about Hi-Q in the specific, but in the more general sans Hi-q discussion

and Peter can (should) correct me if wrong but...

And this is not the answer you want, but saving the song, even if you save it using "Save with Patches & Harmony" will only do just that: save the PATCHES (names and GM number 1- 128) - not the individual VSTi synthesizers settings.

If when you open a song and the VSTi is ST 2 then that is because ST2 is your default VSTi. If you set ST3 as your default VSTi then every song you open will play THROUGH it (until you change the VSTi) - ONCE you select the instruments (patches) for each BIAB instrument in the 1-16 parts inside ST3, or from BIAB using a custom built ST3 .pat file.

Now if your VSTi (or even external HW synth) is a GM "compliant" synth (e.g., Coyte WT, Forte DXi, Cakewalk TTS-1 or HW like a Sound Canvas or Ketron) then the patches you saved with the song will load up in the VSTi and play.

ST2 and ST 3 ARE NOT, and never were, GM compliant. And for lack of a better way to say this: BIAB IS essentially GM based, it thinks GM ,it numbers based on GM.

Using ST2 with the Omni Synth 2 add-on for ST2 - ST2 was 98% GM. The ST2 drum part, part 10 (ch 10), still had to have a "kit" selected manually by the user even after running the provided OmniSynth 2 "GM script".

ST3 doesn’t have a GM add-on yet, like Omni synth 2, and might NEVER have one given how ST3 functions.

Yes you can load Omni Synth 2 (import Legacy) patches/instruments into the various ST3 parts but the GM script thing is useless in ST3. ST3 just doesn't work like ST2.

Frankly, I think ST3 will end up like with Kontakt 5. That is, ST3 will never have a similar pseudo-GM compliant add-on like Omni Synth 2 was for ST 2.

Kontakt can't be used as GM module either. Even with the SR Infinite Instruments Player and the Ominsoundz 2 - add on for it. It is just a GM sound set not a GM instrument. You can simply plug in GM sounds into the 16 parts in Kontakt but the patches won’t change ,on say part 3, just because you send a program change.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/12/15 02:41 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20