Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I'll add that the human ear is not as good at detecting deviation as is technology.

Here's a challenge to anybody who has Melodyne:

Take a vocal track you think is pretty good. Export it to Melodyne, and compare your sung notes to the grid. I think even a good singer will be surprised to visually confront the difference between the note they sang and the note they THOUGHT they sang.

What's more enlightening is that the deviations go in both directions.. some flat, some sharp.

Whether or not you choose to correct anything is still a personal choice. But it can be enlightening to see what you're really asking the listener to accept.

AMEN!!!!! Oh yes... using Melodyne has actually made me a better singer. I was able to see visually, the bad habits I had of "pulling back on notes" and several other things..... So even now, when I see the classic blob that shows I did that... I will practice that note a few times the right way and punch the heck out of it.

When I work on other folks vocals now, especially if they are recording in the studio at the time....I can load ME and show them what they are doing..... really a nice teaching tool.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.