Originally Posted By: pghboemike
Originally Posted By: MarioD
learn about setting up non-GM MIDI sounds and learn about MIDI controls, i.e CCs.

MarioD or others can you suggest sites where we can learn about this not just the list of the controllers but examples of application of their use

thanks

Google/bing Learning MIDI and you will find a ton of information.

IMHO you will learn more by looking at the list of controllers and comparing it with your synth's MIDI implementation chart. Note some soft synths don't have one but they do have a learn MIDI function, more on that later.

Most but not all synths (by synth I mean hard and soft synths) use CC7 or CC2 for volume with CC11 as a subset of them. However Garritan and possibly others use the mod wheel, CC1, for volume. Others use CC1 for vibrato or filtering. In other words CCs can be left to the discretion of the MFG, thus setting examples may or may not work exactly the same for you depending on your synth.

MIDI learn function is a system were you can dedicate any knob. slider or button on your MIDI controller for a function on your synth. For example my keyboard controller has 9 programmable sliders and 8 programmable knobs. I have two knobs dedicated to volume and pan on all of my synths. For my Hammond B3 soft synth (NI's B4II) those sliders are programmed for the synth's drawbars but are programmed for other things in other synths. It's not hard as you can just right click on a soft synths function, select MIDI learn then just move a slider or knob on your controller, then that slider or knob will control that function. You can also program a specific MIDI controller knob or slider to send a dedicated CC. For example one of my keyboard controller's knobs only send CC7, usually volume, while another only sends CC10, almost always pan.

Actually these things are harder for me to explain than to it is to do. It is very easy to do and I can show you a lot faster if you were here.

The main point is giving you examples may or may not work the same with your synth.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware