Originally Posted By: Sundance
Eddie, I don't think software exists that actually writes lyrics for you....yet. At least none I'm aware of that does. What I know about that's out there - you type your lyrics in and it's supposed to help keeping your lyrics organized, all your drafts together, writing tools, and stuff like contact files, pitching, etc., features for pro songwriters to write and keep track of everything - all in one program. If you check out Master Writer which is the most well known one, you'll see. It's expensive for me and I don't really need all of the features.

What confused me was this:

Quote:
So, what are you all using for lyric writing? And pros or cons you see to your methods?

That made me think he was asking for tools to create the songs, not organize them. That is why my reply was "For writing you use your brain" or however I worded it.

A lot of this likely depends on your nerd level too. Apparently some of these programs have features like a contacts manager, but I just use Microsoft Access for that and keep them in a database (the 3 friends I have are all in there!) I created. My chord charts from RB is screen captured and saved as jpg files in case I have to refer back after moving to Pro Tools. That way I don't have to load RB, deal with the programs fighting over who gets use of the interface...

But again, that's just what I do. And I don't have as many songs to deal with as someone like Notes who once said he has 550 or more. Also he is a very active, very busy performer so he has club contacts, notes about the crowds for each room to tailor a set list, and if I did that the database would include a picture of the mixer so I know how to set things up the next time in. I did that WAY back to the days of Polaroids! When the sound was in the sweet spot, take a Polaroid so we know where to start the next time. Lots of ways to do stuff.

Going to check Master Writer out to see if there is a feature I might want to add to what I do now.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/17/16 07:18 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.