Quote: "Part of this could be the mic I guess. I'm using a Shure AXS 1 which sounds great, it's a dynamic mic that to me sounds cleaner than the venerable SM58. Maybe it's not sensitive enough to produce a strong signal when she's singing softly? Is there not a way to have RB internally boost an input that's being recorded in real time without clipping? I don't mean compression I mean a simple gain boost. As I said I could easily use 7 or 8db of boost and not clip so why does RB record it so low?"

Do your instruments record at acceptable levels? They are line level inputs. If they do, consider converting mic level to line level prior to input into the interface and input line level audio rather than mic level.

A mic preamp or channel strip will do the job nicely. One of your keyboards may have a mic input that outputs on a line out. Many amplifiers have line out. I prefer the preamp/channel strip the best.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.