Originally Posted By: eddie1261

And that is why I DON'T play music.

Well that's certainly a pessimistic way to see things.

You have to pay your dues to get to the top of the mountain. The Beatles played the Cavern club in Germany with a bunch of drunks. Alabama played a salty little dive in Myrtle Beach called The Bowery to a bunch of drunk tourists. And I'm sure every band and artist that made it to the big time has a similar back story.

You gotta pay your dues.

I have played in bands where the leader was of similar attitude as you describe yourself. It wasn't fun, it was drudgery, and soul sucking. It took the joy out of playing music. And everything else aside, playing music should be enjoyable. Folks who are overbearing in their quest for perfection tend to drive away the good talent unless they are paying exceptionally well. It's totally possible to make it to the professional level and be a nice guy. I hear lots of stories about some artists who are just so easy to work with and reflect that attitude to their band mates. Being in such a band is a privilege and people are lined up to get that gig. One of the better bands I played in had a very relaxed attitude toward learning new tunes and getting things right. Everyone was capable of playing and singing well and there was no pressure to "get it right, NOW!!".

Maybe I'm reading your comments inaccurately. But the way you describe yourself seems that you maybe push your mates a bit too hard. 16 hrs a week for 26 weeks to get a show together? What kind of music are you playing? I can see that if you are playing major concerts and the money will be excellent and you're doing the Dregs or Zappa, or Satriani...... but you don;t generally have that sort of audience who appreciates that style of music in the club down town. The band I was mentioning above.... we started in Sept.... once a week for a few hours a night in a garage... a total of 12 sessions to prepare a new band from scratch to do a house gig at one of the most popular clubs in town. We learned the obligatory 40 to 45 songs needed for the first weekend. We stayed there at the house gig with packed houses for two and a half years. We had tight starts and endings and the stuff in between was good as well.

If you are not in love with music anymore.... then yes... take time off. If you really love it, it will call you back.

BTW: good luck with the shooting competitions. There are some pretty amazing folks in that field as well. Highly competitive and extremely talented. Perhaps your drive will find fertile ground there as that tends to be a solo sport. And it takes lots of practice and drive to get good making small groups and hitting popup targets.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.