Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Dregs or Zappa, or Satriani

Add Steve Vai to that and you are spot on.

I guess is has just been a vision quest that I do something unique and not blend into the gray. The only place I go to see live music is 3.5 miles from my home. That is about the limit I will go to see music because those "blend into the gray" type bands are everywhere else. That particular room has music 4 nights a week and it is a mix of jazz to folk to country to blues to roots to Americana to Cajun.... and the woman who owns it stresses that she expects a lot of original music. (She is possibly THE biggest proponent of the art community I have ever known. Music, painting, sculpting, film making... anything artistic and creative.) No Gimme Three Steps allowed.

I understand that my perspective sounds pessimistic to many. That is born from a desire to not become complacent and say "That's good enough". It isn't good enough. It is NEVER good enough. And when you get to a place where the best you can do is still not good enough, it's time to move on to another thing and seek perfection. (When I shoot, I don't just aim for the middle of the target. I aim for the hole I have already put in the middle of the target.)

I should also add that this kind of overachieving attitude WILL drive people crazy, and history speaks to many who have been driven crazy. In music, Brian Wilson comes closest to what I am trying to say. I am convinced that when Brian Wilson dies, he will ask god for ONE more take. It is often painful to be this way, but it is who I am and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to try and change your DNA. I have lived a life believing that if you come in second, you are the best loser.

And yes, I see a shrink twice a month. Maybe I should go to her more.... smile

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/07/17 10:29 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.