Originally Posted By: rayc
Could you explain how you do it?
I've only seen/heard the Miku pedal so am unsure if it's a midi manipulation or something else.

I've got a couple of Vocaloids, so I can give a brief explanation.

The Miku guitar pedal has some of the sounds of that Vocaloid character, but isn't really representative of the program.

You can buy Vocaloid voice libraries, but to get them to sing, you have to use a graphical editor. The file format is a proprietary superset of MIDI.

The editor that works much like the "piano roll" editor in other programs. In BiaB, for example, go to Window ⏵ Piano Roll ⏵ Piano Roll Window to see the piano roll editor. The x axis represents time, while the y axis is pitch. You can just click and drag to draw a note.

Each green "bar" represents a single syllable. You can either enter syllables phonetically, or enter words, and have Vocaloid automatically convert them into phonetic syllables.

On the bottom section, you can see that various parameters (dynamics, breathiess, clarity, gender) can be dynamically modified.

In case you weren't aware, BiaB supports vocal synthesis using the free online Sinsy program.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?