Hi Beatmaster,

This is an interesting topic. Thank you for posting it and giving me the opportunity to clarify my thinking!

Others may well disagree with me but here are my thoughts on people posting in 'User Showcase'. Since it's not mentioned, I'm anticipating that this is the forum you are meaning.

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Can we not in honesty step up and be better than this and , one day tell/help folks/forumites to get/be better by god honest critiques .

'Users Showcase' is a showcase forum and not a 'Song Critique' forum nor a 'Work in progress' forum. Some people ask for critical thoughts and some don't.

I have noticed over the years that if someone does ask for critical feedback, forum members have no hesitation in providing constructive and worthwhile thoughts. Because some people have much more experience in various musical areas than others, sometimes those thoughts are very valuable and useful. Over time, I've picked up quite a lot of useful information from reading posts.

If a poster does not ask for critical feedback, though, I believe that it is courteous not to give any and so I don't.

Most people in 'Users Showcase' post the very best work that they know how to create. Their efforts are genuine and sincere. They are proud of what they have done and they want to share what has usually taken them many hours to make. What right do I have to step on that feeling of satisfaction and that sense of accomplishment unless the user is asking for constructive input?

This is one hell of a forum [Users Showcase (inserted by Noel96)] But it is not an honest forum lets all change/ by being the best by helping each other by critiquing each other by the experience/honesty/decency/down right humanity/ and stop all the crap.

I see that the way in which 'User Showcase' works is about respecting peoples' efforts and appreciating each person's work as individual because each person comes from their own unique background with their own unique set of skills. Doesn't being "honest" in the context that you provide mean that you are comparing something to a concept in your mind that you see as being 'above average' or 'the best'? You know, not everything has to be comparative. It's possible to celebrate success sincerely and honestly by being non-comparative on many different levels... not everyone is a Nobel prize winner and that doesn't have to be the one-size-fits-all measuring stick.

Some people on Users Showcase write incredible songs even though they are wheel-chair bound, have very limited physical control and they are unable to talk. There are also those who write and present songs after having worked in the publishing and writing industries for decades. In addition, there are also people who have no understanding of music and who have discovered that BIAB gives them a reason to start playing around and having fun. These three examples are just a tiny smattering of who posts in 'Users Showcase'.

Id love to hear that my friend ….!!that was a good song ... but..i heard this and that...?

Anyone who posts a song and asks for critical feedback will get that. Try it and see.

Surely honesty is the best policy...more importantly you WILL GUIDE AND HELP SOMEONE WHO IS SERIOUS ABOUT THERE MUSIC AS WE ARE...Excuse the caps my friends ..well thank you

It depends on what you mean by "honesty".

Are you saying that it's OK to walk up to someone on the street, whom you don't know, and say something like, "I really like that outfit you're wearing but you know you could enhance it and make it much better by [insert some suggestions here].

I believe that until anyone asks for my opinion, giving it is more akin to interfering than being helpful. I'm hardly an expert when it comes to music. Each song I write and each song I listen to teaches me something new most of the time.

One thing that some users do before posting their creation on 'Users Showcase' is to upload a song to Soundcloud (or equivalent) in private mode. They then send a link and seek feedback from those whose opinions they respect.

Also, Petimar recently started a thread in the 'Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production' forum and asked if this would be a good location to place a work on which he is seeking some critical feedback. I'd never thought about it before but that particular forum does seem to be the ideal spot for songs that are a work in progress! Maybe Petimar will start a trend smile

Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to consolidate my thinking. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024