There has been some on and off discussion over the years about what Band-in-a-Box can’t do, yada yada, yada, and what I would like to spend this summer and the rest of the year listening to from composers and songwriter’s is this:

A song, or songs that you feel really proud of that showcase some “amazing” aspect of Band-In-a Box.

Let me give you an example from my own wheelhouse: I am working on creating a signature style for myself in cinematic “epic” soundscapes and trailers. I discovered that the EDM styles in Band-In-a-Box are a goldmine to use in combination with orchestral libraries. Essentially, I have a 3 step workflow that includes a.) writing a simple, symphonic score, b.) add sound effects c.) add EDM tracks and mixing (often with three or more busses, one for the orchestra, one for SFX, one for RTs.) What comes out in the final mix blows my mind and I could not imagine taking the EDM stuff out now. It makes it—and gives me a sonic edge I don’t think people are going to be able to cop so quickly.

In YOUR favorite areas of composition—songwriters, and composers—I would love to hear some tracks you believe have an “amazing” aspect to them due to the use of Band-in-a-Box in some form.

This could be ANY genre. Any notes on recording techniques and special mixing plug-ins would be a plus. You don’t have to give away the secret sauce, of course, but anything you want to share would be great as I am on a steep learning curve learning how to incorporate Band-in-a-Box’s awesome features and other mixing and mastering tools in the overall workflow.

In other words, I am not saying “Let’s see if you can write something that sounds great” etc. because I know you already ARE doing that. I just want to keep my focus of learning narrowly focused on those people who are as blown away by Band-in-a-Box as I am and who want to share some of their personal favorite “amazing mixes” with fellow songwriters. This would not be a critiquing thread, just “here is something I am proud of, and here is how I did it.” Not a place to critique or sermonize or point out faults, just a place to show some best practices and cool experimentations. A thread for composers, by composers and of composers/songwriters. It would differentiate somewhat from the larger showcase by not being “here is my latest song”—but rather, here is something I think is wicked cool thanks to BIAB and here is a little info on how I did it.

Hope this makes sense. If anyone adds a song to this thread I will be all over it like white on rice, as we say here in North Carolina. It will be on the top of the stack of my listening throughout the summer and the rest of 2018. I know we are all busy so lengthy commentaries are not necessary. A smiley face could suffice, as in “Oh yeah. That’s what I’m talking about.”

smile

Here is something I just did that I am proud of.

I am using EDM tracks straight from EDM style picker on top of classical tracks laid in an earlier template.

I mixed the classical part down first then put it into board two to add the SFX and EDM.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsfilmmusic/dark-night-of-the-soul