I didn't read the entire story.....skimmed it.

But....

Kinda like those old cars with points and condensers and manual transmissions. I like the computer controlled automatic transmission cars. I've had both.

Same deal with tape vs digital. I've had tape machines in 4 track and been in studios with much larger machines. Editing and working with tape is a PITA. Cut and splice took a phenomenal amount of skill and patience to get it right. I much prefer the digital domain.

Regarding the whole "analog sounds better" argument...... I don't buy it. I've heard some really astounding all digital music. Listen to "Trio" on CD. (Parton Harris and Ronstadt)....Oh My!

But KUDO's to the guys keeping the old gear working. Selling an analog session to someone is, in my opinion, similar to selling those Low-Oxygen Audio cables that cost upwards of $2,000 to someone. Can you hear the difference? Probably not, but if the consumer of said service/product thinks it's worth the cost... and can afford it.... who's to stop them from doing it?

I have always approached the digital domain like it was a tape world. Use only the tracks you absolutely need. If the take wasn't good, delete it and record it again. Don't save it if it was bad. The best comment in the whole story is this:

Quote:
“If you can’t get a song down in 24 tracks, maybe it wasn’t a very good song in the first place.” Larry Crane

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.