G'day Bob,
Quote:

All I'm talking about is changing the name of the notes or scale as it applies to other instruments. The Bb horn plays an Eb scale (to him) but it's F concert. If you simply changed the name to F nothing else changes. The notes are the same, the fingering is the same, the horn player no longer thinks of that sequence of notes as a Eb scale, that's all. It's an F scale.

Actually, it isn't really the same when you take into account that many musicians that play so called "tranpsosing" instruments also double on other instruments.
Sax players: Mostly Eb and Bb and occasionally C, add clarinet in Bb and A...
Trumpet/Cornet players: A, Bb, C, D and Eb
& etc. Lots of instruments fit the category.

So. Take the Trumpet. Concert C (3rd space) on a Bb horn is 1st valve, 4th partial. On an Eb horn it's 1st and 2nd valve, 3rd partial. On an A horn it's 2nd valve, 4th partial. On a D horn its 1st valve, 3rd partial and on a C horn it would be NO valves on the 3rd partial.

Confused yet? I sure am and I play the things... When I'm not on my 'bone or Eupho.

By doing the transposition in the music, I can pick up the trumpet the music is for and the written C is no valves, 3rd partial - very consistent - lets me concentrate on playin' the dots.

All same for the sax, move from Bari to Tenor to Alto to Soprano. Eb to Bb to Eb to Bb. Transpose the music and the player just plays the dots. No worries about octave shifts or fingering changes. Oh yeah, don't forget the C melody sax - just to confuse things even further.

It may seem odd to someone who plays a concert tuned instrument but believe me, it's MUCH easier for those of us who play transposing ones.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!