One very important thing I didn't talk about because my post was getting too long as it is, is how GM fits into this. GM stands for General Midi if you didn't know that already. It greatly simplifies midi but it also dumbs it down quite a bit. GM was really invented to allow computer users, mostly gamers, to share files with audio in them. Windows ships with a basic software GM sound library including a group of special effects mostly used for gaming. If I sent you an audio file and you double clicked on it Media Player would open and play it. It would sound exactly the same on your Windows system as it sounds on mine. No need for a DAW, a separate synth, none of that. Click on the file and it plays. Simple.

That relates to Biab because Biab is internally based on GM in the way it handles midi files. When you use a midi style, all that happens is Biab is generating a new midi file every time you hit Play. The problem with GM as it relates to your question is GM is also very limited in how many midi controllers are available. Biab can load and play most VST sound libraries but it can only use the limited GM midi controllers to modify the sound while that library really wants you to use it's own custom midi controllers to get the best out of that library. That means a lot of what you paid for with that library is lost if you're using Biab to play it. If you use that library with a good DAW, you have way more control over it especially if you use a good midi controller and you are also a good musician as Mrgeeze said.

To get back to your main point, Biab is already one of the best and most simplified automatic midi playback softwares available but like most of us here, you want more! Biab began years ago as midi only and I think it's fair to say Peter and the developers have taken the GM midi controls as far as they possibly can. GM is still very restrictive, it can only get you so far without completely dumping it and doing something else. But to do that puts us at the mercy of all the different VST libraries where they all use separate and individual midi implementation. That would be a real nightmare for users.

Something new on the horizon is after 20 odd years the new Midi 2.0 standard was just implemented. It's up to all the different manufacturers and software developers to implement it. I have no idea how that could affect Biab. Maybe it could change everything or change nothing.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.