Originally Posted By: cooltouch
Rick Beato is one of my favorite YouTube guys, but his topics can get way over the average guy's head in a hurry in terms of music theory. I know a fair amount of music theory and I've seen a number of his talks just go sailing right over my head

^^ This!

Thanks Michel. That's some great info, and really interesting to hear about your specific experiences in learning to play and perform. It really hit home, too because I was just watching a couple videos yesterday where Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock were talking about music. Herbie was a lot more verbose smile. But anyway, there's a common theme that keeps coming up - listen, listen, listen to the masters, and then practice, practice, practice. I've got a good list of my own favorite masters and now a few new ones. It's great to have some focus because it's not like when I was young and you could go to the record store and select from a few hundred albums - now it's like millions. Then there's the tools and the gear and the products that let you create amazing sounds with a few clicks (including BIAB). Nothing wrong with those tools, but I don't want to get caught up in the glitz and glamor.

Back to the topic at hand, with all of the above that's at least 10 years of work lined up, so yes, that will keep me busy for a while!

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts