I can relate to your experience. Yeah, there's a lot to learn. Songwriting, recording, music production, mixing and mastering, hardware and software and probably a few other things too....

Personally, I love this software and have taken the time to learn what I need to learn to do what I need to do.

Yeah, you don't necessarily have to write commercially viable songs in order to have a good time and enjoy this.

For the vast majority, this is a hobby. Like any hobby, it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Otherwise, why do it? Like any hobby, you have to dig into the details to learn how to get better. If you decided to paint landscapes, or weave baskets, or play golf, you would have to spend the time to learn that hobby to do it correctly. This is no different.

Hiring the studio musicians is just not an affordable way to do this hobby when you have the tools here to do it right. The cost of one Nashville or LA session will easily pay for one of the higher level Band in a Box versions. Do a couple of studio sessions and you have the funds to buy a decent computer, seriously good interface and studio monitors. I'm not sure what you're currently using, but adding something as simple as Ozone to your mix will take it to the next level sonically. I tell folks if you ever try the demo version of Ozone, be prepared to buy it because it's that good in the preset settings.

You have access to all of the folks here. You mentioned Floyd.... there's quite a few others who are putting out studio quality work. Ask them questions. I started in the Cakewalk forums with out BB. I was recording using my talents and midi plus the audio stuff I could play. I collaborated with keyboard players and fiddle players and singers over there. Getting others to work with you can be difficult but when you find the right folks it's really fun and inspiring.

Sounds like you're almost to the point of throwing in the towel and calling it quits. I can't talk you into anything, but I'd suggest trying again to connect with a few folks and ask questions. Ask people to play parts for you that you know, know what they're doing and can play and sing. Ask people to comment on the technicals of the songs you record and get their feedback with solutions. I used to do that all the time in the Cakewalk forum when it existed. That's how you learn, and that's how you improve.

It's like a journey of a thousand miles.... you make it one step at a time.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.