Quote:

I have a question - why can't (or won't) the richest nation on earth (that leads the world in medical research and development) afford universal health care for its citizens? Countries like the UK, Denmark, France, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Canada do (these are the ones I know of).

Glenn

One of the reasons for this is our legal system. I touched on this earlier. I know for sure that France, UK and Canada all have caps on malpractice awards and I would bet the rest do too. Here, the skys the limit. Of course if a doctor/hospital cuts off the wrong leg or causes someone's death of disability, they deserve to be compensated for that but where do you draw the line? Is a million enough, 5 million, how about 20 million? Doctors here are paying something like $100-200,000 per year in malpractice insurance premiums. They don't have to do that in other countries. The other big deal is there's something like 2000 health insurance companies here in the US and they all have their own unique billing and paperwork. They don't all work in every state but still doctors have to have 3 or 4 staff just to handle all the different kinds of paperwork. I've read if someway or some how all that could be standardized that would save a bundle too. Neither of these problems are addressed in the current health care bill now before Congress, that's why so many people are against it. We need some reform in this country for sure but it has to be the right kind of reform.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.