I'll delve into question 3 as well.

I don't work with midi very much. However, using BB to create the midi tracks, and then exporting them to your DAW should be relatively easy and quick. MarioD says he works with midi a lot and drags them to his DAW. Just drop in your favorite VSTi and load the sample you want and you have exactly what you need.

As you pointed out, there is no trial version. HOWEVER.... PG is very generous in their return policy. Right on the main page.... Unconditional 30-Day Money Back Guarantee on all products purchased from PG Music Inc. Try it and if you don't like it, you can return it. Chances are good it will help you with your track creation. I believe there are a few orchestral styles in the program that may or may not help you get a jump start on writing. AT the very least, it should give you a basic track list and then you can add the unique tracks you want to fill out the score you're working on.

I have used it to create a few tracks that were used in film and TV a few years back. SO it has the potential to be a good writing tool.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.