Greetings y'all! I'm Russell, new guy in the ring. I play guitar, bass, mandolin and am currently trying to wrap my brain (and fingers) around a banjo I was gifted. I love writing songs and think I am a fairly decent songwriter. I started "recording" back in the late 80's early 90's with a Tascam PortaOne 4 track cassette and a Casio keyboard (as my drum machine) and an acoustic guitar. Treble way down to record basslines and back up to record guitar parts. Added a TR-505 real drum machine after a bit. (I still have everything but the Casio!)

Not the best setup to make something I wanted to share. I got a version of Cakewalk (Sonar) with a SoundBlaster sound card I bought for my PC and that was quite a step up. Went from there through several versions and wound up with Sonar X3 Producer. Still struggled getting a really good sound. My biggest issue is being limited to just the instruments I played. Never took any music theory and have never had the time or skill to learn keyboards so while I tried my hand at some basic midi / synth instruments I pretty much sucked at it and it added nothing to my music. I've spent lots of money (way too much - ask my wife) on gear, guitars, microphones, plugins, add-ons and whatever I thought would help me get the recording I wanted. Got close but it still wasn't what I heard in my head.

Fast forward to 10 days ago when I first heard of, then purchased, Band in a Box UltraPAK . . . I am in heaven! I have 8 of my songs more than 80% done and one 99% I hope to be sharing this weekend. It took a couple days to figure this thing out but wow!!! It's like I have become a MIDI master! And the best part is it's real musicians playing the parts I want.

I'm in my 60's and did have some concern about being able to learn this but it really is fairly easy to get started. I think it helps that I am a musician already (I still play out whenever I can - Currently playing bass in a Molly Hatchet tribute band and singing / playing guitar in an acoustic duo)

I know I've just scratched the surface and as I get better at dialing in the multitude of features I know my music will just keep sounding better.

For anyone reading this who is here trying to decide if they want to spend the cash, let me say - Do it!! It's WELL worth every penny.

To the folks at PG Music - Thank You! Great tool to add to my musical toolbox. Just wish you advertised better and I had found it sooner LOL!

To the folks here on the forums - Thanks for already having the answers to many of the questions I had - The search engine here ain't perfect but it got me through. I do have many more questions and some suggestions that I'll ask and share in posts later but I did want to express my complete satisfaction to this point.

Last thing - I want to share my music here for critique but I'm a wee bit nervous . . . In perusing the "User Showcase" forum I see some of y'all have set the bar pretty darned high! Some great stuff there!

~Russell~

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK