Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I'll add this bit. For me, the "definition" of the lyric also includes the vocal melody, the phrasing and rhythm of the words, and the "sound" of the words...all of which are integral to the music. …

No. We’re using the English language as a communication medium here. The Lyrics are the words.

"The words", without a musical context, are not a "song lyric"--which was the question David asked. They may be a poem. They may be some other kind of writing. They may even one day become song lyrics. But until they are part of a song, they are not song lyrics.

Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
When you ascribe musical qualities to those words, you are talking about music. Yes, really. Rap is a great example, especially in the early days when there was often no melody at all: it was still words and music. People have been having that discussion for hundreds of years.

Here, you make my point. Yes, I'm talking about the music of a song lyric. When those words become part of a song they become music. A Capella is a great example. And yes, I include Rap in "songs". If the definition of "song" has become broad enough to include pieces of music which have never been married to a lyric, then it should include lyrics which have no discernible melodic connection to the rest of the music.

If a song-writer writes a song by setting poems to music, more power to them. That's not how I write, neither alone nor with partners. My lyrics are from the beginning musical and intended to ultimately become part of a particular song. Therefor, music is boss. Other things I write are (usually) not. Thus they are not song lyrics, and don't serve to answer David's question.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground