Ok, I watched the video and now I understand. It’s the in-software messages/ads, and he shows how to block any program from communicating by using the Windows firewall. Well, ok.

I had to chuckle because the video guy says he is easily distracted. I must have laser focus because these messages didn’t even register for me, but I do have two questions:

1) is Studio One ‘phoning home’ taking up bandwidth or processing power? I would think, yes, and it’s worth blocking for that reason. You don’t want anything else running when using your DAW.

2) wouldn’t this disable automatic startup checking for updates? I have to admit, I like that feature. I assume it checks at startup then goes quiet, but that might be wrong. I’ve never even checked using the menu as you mentioned, because between the email and the startup message about an update, I never needed to. I would hope the program isn’t constantly checking for an update as you use it. Perhaps the way to find out is to go to the firewall and then run Studio One to see what error messages pop up.

Thanks for your post!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors