Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Well, Noel, you really have a good grasp on these a synth vocalists! Natalie and Kevin’s harmonies and counterpoint parts sound especially nice. It is so cool that you can get the phrasing so close to yours and we even hear a little bit of accent in Natalie’s vocal. smile

The lyric is delightful and Janice read it before listening and said, “oh yeah!”

The mandolins are very good and the whole band and mix and dialed in perfectly.

You’re on a very fast learning curve with Synth V. Kudos!!

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud.

It's always a pleasure to have you visit a thread. And thanks for your comment about the harmonies. I used a mix of techniques... chord-based harmony with occasional counterpoint and it has worked well. What I love about Synth V is that I get to hear how it sounds and if I don't like it, it's very, very easy to move the notes on the piano roll display and change the harmony.

It's interesting that you should mention a slight accent in Natalie's vocals. Since I started working with the software, I been analysing how accents are formed because I'm trying hard not to incorporate too much of my Australian accent. From my limited experience with these vocaloids, the subtleties of accents are vast. How long a consonant is held, the length of a vowel, the strength of a vowel or consonant and how the components of words join together (just to name a few aspects).

When I am trying to get the syllables to flow smoothly and realistically, my Australian version of English drives the process. As consequence, I'm pretty sure there will be hints of Australian accent throughout the vocals. While I look up words in the online Meriam-Webster and listen to individual words spoken in 'American', that doesn't give me any clues about how to link the words and what changes when words are linked into a sentence. The best I can do will be to have vocaloids that sound mostly American but with overtones of an international accent.

I had an unusual experience a few days ago. I'd been working on Kevin's singing of "Every Single Day" for a few hours, and then I played my version of the song (with me singing). My accent was highly noticeable in the recording. This was the first time, I've ever heard how my accent sounds to other people! After a couple of times through, though, it sounded normal once again.

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen and for commenting!
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024