Trevor,

"if they are ever going to remove pre-existing pickers, a very cautious approach is required"

It had been generally agreed that a year, should be sufficient to address all bugs, etc.

The obvious... it will highly unlikely to happen in 2024. But you are saying:
"And keep in mind that some existing users might want to have the option"

I assume you are against the idea of removal?

-----
Personally, I am highly against leaving anything that doesn't belong in the program. Extra junk leads to more bugs (remember those?), more unneeded complexity, frustrations and maintenance, making sure that all these wonderful old pickers comply with new features and work seamlessly. Why most users have to suffer for several few who are either simply stubborn, or 1-4 buttons that might or might not make it to top level? I don't believe BIAB has the luxury to satisfy few loyals in this market environment where progress matters the most. While BIAB can't modernize overnight, the least what can be done is reduce obsolete & redundant features. To clean it up a bit.

P.S. I believe your analogy with BIG button gui doesn't fit this discussion. That is beneficial to people with weaker eyesight. These 8 obsolete pickers are different beast.