Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Steve, your bass playing strikes me just as James Jamerson's does. Always so pro in timing and taste. This is quite an interesting composition, and quite an unusual but highly worthy tribute piece. In it you include death AND hope (at least that how it reaches my ears). Man, I love the way you build these with talent.
Hey Marty, many thanks for the listen and glowing review. But there must be a typo.
How can I possibly be in the same sentence with THE James Jamerson who arguably is the most influential bass player in modern music history?

I will say that over the 8 years I've been playing and learning this instrument that the "leg" in the rhythm section is becoming more and more important to me. And in rhythm, timing is crucial. There are so many rhythm patterns to explore that I'll be long dead before attempting even half of them. The bass is the only voice in my songs that I always play from beginning to end; other voices I'll cut, paste and move in my DAW, but not the bass. If it requires 4, 5, or even 10 or more takes, so be it. I find the computer work a necessary but uninteresting chore. But when I strap on my plank of lumber, power-up my amp and hit Record, that's where the thrill is smile I'm sure you know what I mean.

But you truly are the musician's musician. Picking up on the forboding "death" with the intro synth and how it crossfades to "hope" with the strings speaks volumes.

Keep on thumping . . . even after the cows come home smile

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.