You've asked this in the Beginners Forum and have been a registered user for about six months, so I agree Bob has given the preferred answer for your problem. Bob's not sure about recording in BIAB, but I am. You can record in BIAB. You can 'punch in' in BIAB. You can overdub in BIAB.

However, there are obstacles to recording audio in BIAB that as a beginner or previous DAW user you'll face:

* You can't 'see' the audio. There's no WAV form until the recording stops. There are VU meters showing recording and the recording levels.
* Punch in or overdub, the song begins at the start and plays through the punch in or overdub section with no visual indication the program is recording.
* Overdubs are 'mixed' automatically by BIAB.
* Some users find it difficult to set up BIAB for audio or midi recording.

<< The problem I have is that when recording from a bar anywhere other than the beginning, there is no metronome present. The recording starts straight away with no count-in, which makes things rather difficult.

Is there a way to have the metronome play before any bar? >>

There are multiple ways to have the metronome play before any bar in BIAB. If your song has drums on the Drums Track, that should keep you in time. My preference is to Solo the instrument being punched in, and also solo the drums or metronome.

It's easy to make a click track for your song.
Save your current project. Be sure any edited tracks are frozen.
Open a New project
From the StylePicker, search and select one of the Utility Style Metronome Styles.
Set the tempo of the metronome to match your project song tempo
Render the Metronome Click Track and save as an audio file to your desktop
Close the Metronome project
Open your current project
Import the click track you saved onto an empty Mixer Track using the default load options including the Chorus, Bar, Beat, Ticks box 1,-1,1,1
To test if the click is synced, I solo the bass and click and then add the drums a few bars in. (Right clicking the Solo Button in the Mixer to have multiple tracks solo'd)

That said, the above advice is best only for beginners and DAW enthusiasts. Understand this advice is an absolute obstacle to learning and using almost all of BIAB's advance features in creating complex, advanced audio and midi tracks that can match any arrangement one can create manually in a DAW using basic BIAB generated Tracks.

Audition the Songs with Vocals demos and note they are all finalized as BIAB songs, Never as a RealBand SEQ file, not Pro-tools, Studio One, Reaper, Sonar, Ableton, Logic Pro, GarageBand, Cakewalk or any DAW. When BIAB files are exported as audio, 100% of BIAB features are lost. RealBand and the DAW Plug-in have limited BIAB features but most of the advanced features don't carry over. Every other DAW contains ZERO BIAB features.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.