Thank you Tom and Mike! Mike, I do a lot of what you suggested. I only use styles to find the right initial drum groove and bass for the song at hand. Then it's total mix and match, and editing to get what I'm looking for. I think what it comes down to with this one is a matter of instrumentation. If I offered a wider selection of instruments to create more contrast bewteen sections, it might have added the interest that some comment on. I did have a bunch of extra instrument tracks and they did offer some things that were good, but I felt they only served as a distraction. Sticking with fiddle and steel pedal weaved in seemed to offere the proper instrumentation, without complicating the arrangement. The two instruments I may add to this that will offer the most bang is tambourine and a Brent Mason type of strat part. I had a country strat real track in there, but it was too vague and didn't work well. I'd have to cut the part myself to get it working right, which isn't a problem, but I rarely continue on with more once I wrap up a project. Especially this one, where I understand the observations mentioned, but I don't feel it's a make or break situation. As it stands, this track is an excellent rendition of the song. It stands up quite well. There isn't a song I've written and produced that I didn't learn something though, including this one. I'll take the thoughts and keep them in mind for future productions. This is the type of feedback we all need though. You all know what it's like- when we first finish a production there is a love affair with that work. It's perfect- unchangeable. Then as the honeymoon fades, you can begin to recognize what people are trying to suggest. You either have the ability to be objective about your work or you don't. I maintain- objectivity is always best and keeps you on the path to better song writing and production.

Mike- I just sing my harmonies. It's not easy and not everyone can or would even choose to do it, hence the popularity of harmonizers. You have to be able to hear the parts in your head, as welll as execute them. But if you can sing, I recommend you try it. It's a matter of the proper mix in your headphones to get it done right. The mix while cutting lead vocal is key, but the mix for harmonies is even more critical. I typically lower the music bed a great deal when cutting harmonies. It's all about keeping those pitches in check, not about hearing the music bed too. When everything is nicely in tune, you bring up the music bed to the proper level and bam- you have something good. I'm a real sucker for harmony. I have to fight myself to not over do it! It always comes down to contrast, even when you decide just how much harmony parts to include.

Dan