You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#268643 - 11/16/14 02:14 AM [User Showcase] I Threw You Out
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Finland
I Threw You Out

I have made several versions of this song with different female Vocaloids, but for this version I hired a real vocalist. Maybe too expensive way when songwriting is just a modest hobby for me, but I wanted to try something different and the end result is not so bad.

RealTracks used:

Acoustic Bass #481
RealDrums JazzTerryClarke
Acoustic Piano #2314
Acoustic Guitar #527
Electric Guitars #939, #969
Trumpet #494

Solo guitar melody uses SampleTank Silk Shake - I have used lots of effects to find the sound I want (echo, chorus, stereo expander, compressor, eq), but I'm still not fully satisfied with the result.

Mixed with Adobe Audition.

Janne

#268652 - 11/16/14 05:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very nice listen. Enjoyed it

#268656 - 11/16/14 05:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Nice tune and I think your vocalist did a good job for you. Enjoyed this.

Charlie

#268667 - 11/16/14 07:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janne,

very nice song. You hired a great singer.
Enjoyable listens.

Guenter

#268677 - 11/16/14 09:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
the end result is not so bad......That's an extreme understatement. This is excellent!! Music works great-great composition and great use of "the Band". Love the singer-perfect for the song. Trumpet works beautifully. Great job all around!! Take care. Greg

#268690 - 11/16/14 12:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
good call hiring the vocalist!!

how did you find this vocalist? Was she an online collaborator? A local singer? a friend? Hired through a talent agency?

(I want to be thrown out by somebody that classy....)

#268707 - 11/16/14 01:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Janne, this is fantastic! Great sound selection, tempo, and mix. Great work on that guitar solo.

PS - keep this singer as she is great!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#268713 - 11/16/14 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Janne,

"Middle-age chaos swirls in my heart" ... I really like that line...

Your singer is sensational.

The arrangement is very good. And the mix is, too. I think there is a little too much reverb on the overall mix - you can hear it on the count-in, so I'm assuming it is on the final mix (?) - maybe not. The arrangement and vocal are good enough that they should not need that little extra reverb...

Cool stuff...

floyd

#268715 - 11/16/14 02:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Jannesan,

We think this is a very good song. The vocals are also very professional. Speaking of which, next time you may want to hire one of us for your vocals. We love to do it and we're probably going to be a lot cheaper whistle.

Regards,
R & AM

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#268745 - 11/16/14 11:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Beautiful song.

That vocalist was worth the money.
The trumpet fits so well making the song a smooth production.

Enjoyed

Alyn

#268772 - 11/17/14 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Janne... would you please post the lyrics...?

I'm having trouble understanding the words... and what I manage to catch sounds very good.. I don't want to miss any of it!
I agree with Floyd about the reverb being a bit too much... in fact, I think that contributes to my inability to understand the lyrics

Once again, this is a very pleasing and interesting work! I'd like to hear more!

Oh, and can I assume that www.DEMOMYSONG.COM is where you hired this singer?

#268783 - 11/17/14 10:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: Pat Marr]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Finland
Thanks all for your nice comments!

Pat, yes I used DemoMySong , I was hoping to get another vocalist, but she was not available at that time, so they suggested me Melissa, first I thought she was not the best possible singer for this kind of tune, but she did very professional job as commentators have stated. You and Floyd are right about the amount of reverb, I got also their own mix, which had drier vocals, but I had to do my own mix and I wanted bit more reverb - I guess I added bit too much :-)

R & AM: thanks for your suggestion, I keep that in my mind when a suitable song comes along.

Pat requested the lyrics, so they are below. I'm not native english speaker, so there definitely are language issues, but I hope they can be accepted as artistic freedom:

I threw you out
nothing was left to talk about
quiet mummy in the armchair
was not worth the affair.
I threw you out
when I was in fire, you were drought
seasons of souls never met
burning lips without sweat.

A teenager living in her dreamland
wish I could teach her the erosion of the bond
too many homes built on just sand
the first waves weather the fond.

[Chorus]

Middle-age chaos swirls in my heart
undermining the equilibrium bliss
what used to complete tears apart
too proud to cross the abyss.

[Chorus]

---

Janne

#268895 - 11/18/14 01:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
O U T S T A N D I N G !!

J&B
J&B Website

#268941 - 11/19/14 05:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Yeah... this is very well done.

When I work with folks in other studios I always , always insist on dry raw tracks. I can add what level of verb I want.... I can not undo what they do, if they do anything to the tracks.

Certainly this is a well done song. Production chops are top notch. I could hear this in any number of movie scenes as either source or underscore.

The call to use a live singer over the vocaloid was a good one on this.....

I like this song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#269059 - 11/20/14 09:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: I Threw You Out [Re: jannesan]
horsthartung Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Bend, Oregon 97459
I think the song lyrics are better than what your Professional singer interpreted them to be...

I don't think she was the right voice for this song.....I'm hearing a more soulful singer who sings with much more feeling and maybe a lower register....

BiaB Everything Pak 2017:BIAB Build 454, RB Build 3; 49 Bonus Paks 16/17; Xtra Styles PAKs 1,2; Windows 10 64 bit Intel Dual-core processor; 1 TB HD; 8GB Memory. Behringer UFX1604 Digital Mixer.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/horst_hartung

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Portuguese Edition for Windows® is Here!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=win&lang=pt

Nós ficamos ocupados e adicionamos mais de 50 novos recursos e uma incrível coleção de novos conteúdos, incluindo RealTracks, SuperTracks MIDI, Estudos Instrumentais, Loops, Performances de Artista, Presets de Amplitube e estilos associados, 12-Key RealTracks e Notação Hi-Q de Guitarra! Nós adicionamos 202 novos RealTracks, o dobro dos 101 que muitas vezes lançamos no passado! Agora, introduzindo o Video RealTracks (40 disponíveis entre Country, Pop e Jazz), que funcionam exatamente como o RealTracks, mas também incluem vídeos da performance do músico! Nós também fizemos um novo Xtra Styles PAK 4 com 160 novos Xtra Styles. (Xtra Styles são estilos baseados em RealTracks lançados anteriormente). Existem mais de 200 novos RealStyles para os nossos novos RealTracks, incluindo Americana, Klezmer, Top-40, Jazz Strings Pads, Vocals (oohs e aahs), New Crooner "Shout", estilos BigBand e muito mais! Nós temos um Bonus 49-PAK com 40 novos RealTracks inéditos além dos 202 acima, totalizando 242 novos RealTracks! O Bonus 49-PAK também inclui os Sets de Video RealTracks 1 e 2, 32 novos SuperTracks MIDI, 108 novos estudos instrumentais, 52 Loops e 8 Performances de artistas.

User Tip - Slowing Down and Looping Audio in Band-in-a-Box®

Forum user DeaconBlues09 created a video tutorial to help answer a fellow forum user's question:
Using the Audio Chord Wizard to tempo map, slow down, and learn the notes of an audio track - video link http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=R09Lf3bHjhQ

Forum thread: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467504

Thanks for sharing!

#TBT - Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows Ear Training Fun!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows we added two great games for ear training: Pitch Invasion and Music Replay!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above (you hear the note sound, and click on the on-screen piano/MIDI or QWERTY keyboard to shoot them down).

Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

These games can still be accessed with newer versions of the program - in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 you'll find these by accessing the Practice Window or Ear Training Window, both located in the Window drop-down menu. The Practice Window can also be accessed using the Practice button within the main Band-in-a-Box screen (don't see it? CTRL+T to change the view).

Learn all about the features released with Version 2006 here.

Video: Exporting Audio Files in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Our latest video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - Exporting Audio Files Tutorial walks you through the different options to export your Band-in-a-Box® songs and song tracks from Band-in-a-Box® as an audio file (WAV, MP3, etc.)!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_Px958TmzhA

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 516 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows customer can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#516

Summary of changes:
Improved: More RealTracks have HiQ transcriptions. Fixed Bass AmericanaSlow16thsByron bad chords.
Improved: The Audio Drivers dialog for WAS devices now shows Bit Depth in the device description.
Improved: WAS audio driver performance has been Improved when using 44.1 kHz sample rate.
Improved: Windows Audio Session error messages contain more specific information.
Updated: Misc. updates to StylePicker database, memos, manuals, help files.
Fixed: "BBW.LST not found" errors when using the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: "mono" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: "normalize individual tracks" was only working for MIDI tracks.
Fixed: "One file per track" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: Access violation on bootup if using a Roland audio interface (ASIO) that is not connected.
Fixed: Adjusting Melody or Soloist tracks to fit a new number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: An access violation error might occur in the RealTracks Picker if quickly scrolling and double-clicking to hear demos.
Fixed: Changing a track name using the StylePicker mixer controls might open a hidden popup window.
Fixed: Changing the number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: Clicking on the far left of the Guitar window would cause a "!!!!!" flash message to show.
Fixed: If adjusting the number of choruses in your song, choosing Cancel is ignored when asked, "OK to adjust Melody track to fit new # of choruses?".
Fixed: JazzBebopDannyBrushes sometimes out of sync.
Fixed: Panning the audio track did not work.
Fixed: Some Amplitube presets/styles/demos pointed to a preset which wasn't available in some installs.
Fixed: Some typos and omissions in RealDrums Picker.
Fixed: The [.STY] button in the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: The [Get Patch/Drum Kit Info] button in the MIDI drivers dialog would not find the synthesizer documentation.
Fixed: The About dialog was not showing the Fretlight Ready logo.
Fixed: The Audio Chord Wizard would always run in English.
Fixed: The busy mouse cursor might remain after analyzing audio with the Audio Chord Wizard.
Fixed: The PDF driver installer could not be launched from Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: The Plugins window would be too small when using plugins that have a small GUI.
Fixed: Using a Coyote DXi synthesizer (eg CoyoteWT or ForteDXi) might cause crackling/buzzing noise during playback.
Fixed: Using a multi speaker layout (eg. 4 speakers surround sound) instead of stereo might cause failure to connect to audio hardware with error -9996. This only happened when using WAS as audio driver type.
Fixed: Video rendering would fail if saved using Japanese characters in file name.
Fixed: When saving a Hybrid style for the first time, the File Save dialog should start in the Styles directory.

PG Music Inc. Newsletter - Stay In-the-Loop!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, or other PG Music Inc. products are released? Sign up for the newsletter at http://www.pgmusic.com/newsletter.htm.

If you purchased Band-in-a-Box® (or any other PG Music Inc. product) directly from us, you're already on the list!

Of course, we also announce new releases and specials on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pgmusicinc/), Twitter account (https://twitter.com/BandinaBox), and right here in our Forums!

Amazing Band-in-a-Box User Comments!

Great program with lots of support through the publisher and after-market. Use it for teaching, practicing, and gigging.
-Andrew L.

I just got my 6th film placement on a song recorded entirely in Band-in-a-Box. You guys rock!
-Terry Fernihough (Band-in-a-Box Endorsing Artist!)

I love this program. I have only had it for around a month but it has made things a lot easier for me. I no longer have to scour the internet for backing tracks. I just plug in the chords I want to use, find the style I want and done. Saving me so much time and being able to transpose into different keys is awesome too.
As the days go on I will be delving deeper into what it can do, importing some of my backing tracks into Abelton 9 to play with and writing some songs.
Best money I have spent on something in while.
-Peter S.

I started using Band-in-a-Box around 1990. It was the DOS version naturally and I used one of those old portable computers with dual floppy drives and a built in 9" monochrome display. I connected midi cables to a great sounding Yamaha keyboard and played my music using midi tracks. I did a demo for a university music class that was a lot of fun. Wow, it is almost unimaginable to see where this product has elevated to today. I have upgraded many times over the past 28 years but each time I am even more amazed. Thank you PG Music for being such a major part of my love for music all of these years!!!
-Dwayne G.

Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "band in a box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy.
-Ilija B.

I’ve been using it for about the same time (20 years). I’m a trumpet player and just really want some backing on lead sheets. With the Real Styles - it sounds fantastic! Takes just minutes to input chord changes and find the right style. There is so much you can do and I love having the Soloist features to really add color.
-Mike B.

Read even more great feedback here.

Forum Stats
27395 Members
50 Forums
51189 Topics
422740 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Meagannn, fredmarzin, Steve T, Deej56, Gerold

27394 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)