You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#106764 - 02/24/11 01:05 PM [Off-Topic] searching for computerized music stand...
rbsoulman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: YT, Canada
Howdy.

I am a musician/event producer and educator based out of Whitehorse, YT in northern Canada. I spend a lot of time in schools (across the country) using music as a tool to teach curriculum to students. Not just music but social studies, math, home ec, geography, anything goes.

one of the more popular programs i've developed is a songwriting program.
– the class suggests various topics that they’d like to write about
- the class collectively edit the topics/ideas into a manageable number.
- the class starts putting the ideas into lyric form.
– I help the kids feel out what kind of musical genre – (rap, rock, R&B, country, etc) will best suit their lyrics.
- Accompanying the kids on guitar, I coach the kids through some rehearsals of their new song and then record it on a digital recorder and then downloaded onto the classroom computer.

This is a very successful program. I have come back to schools a year later and kids can sing me back their song. Which means they learnt the curriculum topic.

HERE'S MY PROBLEM:
At this point i have three 2" binders full of lyrics. I'm tired of carrying them around! Often a student will ask for a song they're written or heard on a previous visit and i can't always accommodate them.

There must be some sort of "computerized" music stand out there? Something i can input everything into and pull up the tunes i want. It needs to be bigger than a laptop or ipad - i need to be able to see the entire lyric in "18 point" font - old eyes.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

many thanks.
RB

#106765 - 02/24/11 02:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: searching for computerized music stand... [Re: rbsoulman]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...
Laptop with a good sized hard drive and an external projector?

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#106766 - 02/24/11 02:51 PM [Off-Topic] Re: searching for computerized music stand... [Re: WienSam]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
My eLocity tablet has an hdmi port. It could go to a monitor OR one of those new 300$ small projectors, Best Buy sells them here.

With a 16 GB mem card in the tablet there is ample room for lots of scanned stuff.

And you can keep stuff on a usb pen drive and as soon as you plug it in it works. It also has audio out as in headphone jack.

#106767 - 02/24/11 02:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: searching for computerized music stand... [Re: rbsoulman]
Lloyd S Offline
Expert

RB:

I will assume that you have all those songs as some sort of text files,
since you mention that you like them in "18 pt" font.

My suggestion would be to use a Tablet PC.
Not an "iPAD"-like tablet, but a full size one such as this.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/EcomCA/buildseriesbean.do?series=T900

It has a 13.3" (diagonal) screen that you can fold flat.
That's roughly equivalent to a letter-size sheet of paper.
You could use it in portrait mode and merely open any of
the songs, then fold the tablet flat and stand it on a regular music stand.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

#106768 - 02/24/11 03:04 PM [Off-Topic] Re: searching for computerized music stand... [Re: Lloyd S]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
There are computer music stands out there, just google computer music stand, however they are smaller than a good size laptop and you say it must be bigger than that. So I’m going to assume that your binders are ok and are 8.5”x11”. I’m also going to assume that the classroom computers have a printer attached to them.

I would get a laptop computer and either MS Office pro ($$$) or Open Office (free). I would use the database and input all of my songs; using a database will allow you to easily find a song. I would also buy USB thumb drive. When the student asks for a song you can bring it up on the computer, copy it to the USB drive then transfer the drive to the classroom computer for printing.

I hope this helps.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#106769 - 02/24/11 05:10 PM [Off-Topic] Replying to suggestions: searching for computerized music stand... [Re: rbsoulman]
rbsoulman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: YT, Canada
Howdy folks.
good suggestions all, but not "fast" enough.
I need to be able to walk in and GO!

i am working in classes for limited amounts of time and need quick escape and set up time.
Less is more. both in terms of packing freight and any possible distractions or breakdowns in the classroom.
I try to keep my "freight" to a minimum as well.

And yes, it is just the lyrics i need. as long as i have the words in front of me, everything else comes back for a visit...

I will try the google search suggestion.

thanks for all the input.
i'll let you know how it works out.

be well.
RB

#106770 - 02/24/11 06:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Replying to suggestions: searching for computerized music stand... [Re: rbsoulman]
MartinB Offline
Veteran

PG Music News
User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Forum Stats
28066 Members
57 Forums
54389 Topics
449525 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Andreu Casado, Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC, Mallie Riecken

28066 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 150