You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#143383 - 12/26/11 12:37 PM [Off-Topic] My first gig in sunny Florida
Tony Wright Offline

Loc: Waterloo Ontario Canada
I have just finished my first gig ever and I doubt it will get better than this. I set up under a gazebo next to the pool at the campground that is our winter home in Florida. The audience of about 60 was round the pool and under a lean-to party room next to the pool. I knew many of them so it was a really supportive audience. The sun was shining and it was 80degF.

Here are some PHOTOS of the location and my equipment set up.

I made a folding screen velrcoed to the keyboard stand to hide the wires etc and my wife made a cover with a Xmas theme that velcroes to the screen. We can make different covers to suite different occasions.

I cannot play without reading the music so I have set up my keyboard on a two level stand with a shelf on the top level to hold the music, mixer, synth and laptop. Page turning could have been a problem so I have photocopied the music for every BIAB song and put it in plastic sheets in ring binders. I can flip the pages easily because they slide over each other. I had no problems with page turning at all. I found my first gig experience a bit like learning to drive a car. At first it was hard to concentrate on everything at once but after an hour or so I was able to flip the pages or adjust the mix or glance at the screen without loosing concentration. I guess this is something you get better at with practice. The hardest part was remembering the repeats for different songs. Some repeats can get quite complicated so I developed a system using different coloured highlighters marked on the music to help me remember the repeats.

Most of the audience is retired (like me) so I decided to play something for everyone and see what worked for them. I played for three hours in the afternoon with a short break and my set included everything from Moonlight Serenade to I Can’t Get No Satisfaction – quite an eclectic mix. BIAB was a hit with everyone especially some of the songs which I had put together to showcase the program’s RT solos.

I used a “name that tune” formula where I played a couple of bars without BIAB and asked the audience to name the tune or the artist or movie it was from. Then I mentioned some trivia about the song that I had looked up on Wikipedia. Then I played the song with BIAB accompaniment. Since most of my songs were standards or well known pop/country songs the formula seem to work really well – there was great audience participation.

I really enjoyed the experience and everyone wants me to do it again. There is a resident entertainer at the campground - I think he gets free rent for entertaining once a month. He plays and sings very well but has a limited repertoire of mainly heavy rhythm and blues. He has been playing the same songs for years and most people are hungry for something different. He doesn’t seem to recognize the needs of his audience and has never heard of BIAB. The owners of the campground like the idea of someone different and since I can read music I can keep changing my sets to keep them fresh. If I can find the music, then with BIAB’s help, I can perform it. The next challenge is to master singing while playing and reading.

Waterloo, Ontario and Palm Harbor, Florida

#143384 - 12/26/11 01:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: Tony Wright]
jcspro40 Offline

Loc: Ohio-USA
That is a nice setup and a GREAT report! I am a little jealous, since there are no opportunities around here to do this type of thing..

Thanks for sharing!
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#143385 - 12/26/11 01:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: jcspro40]
eddie1261 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Nice!! Tidy, efficient, everything you need at arm's length.... unlike the spaghetti factory a lot of us have....
I don't fear deep water as much as I fear shallow people.

#143386 - 12/26/11 02:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: eddie1261]
jim111 Offline

Very nice! I wish I could of been there!

#143387 - 12/26/11 03:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: jim111]
silvertones Offline

Couldn't get the photos. Another wonderful Google app.
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#143388 - 12/26/11 03:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: Tony Wright]
RickeG Offline

Hi Tony,

Man, I see you are in the fun part of Florida. Sounds like a neat place for a snow bird retreat! You must be one of those people with the Canadian license plates attached to those huge RV campers I always see on I-95 & I-75. I know there are lots out there, especially in Canada, that are coveting your 80F temps. And for you folks that are envying Tony right now. Just remember, he leaves here when the temps turn into flames from March through October!! Yes, it actually gets hot enough to where you cannot enjoy the pool...

Boy, "Can't Get No Satisfaction" for retirees? Times they are a changin'.

Enjoy your time in FL this winter!

#143389 - 12/26/11 03:15 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: silvertones]
Danny C. Offline

Loc: South Louisiana

Happy to hear it all worked out for you, but many of us knew it would as we all do something very similar. Glad to hear you completed your 1st gig with BIAB and my bet is there will be plenty more to come, so break a leg!

PS: You have a PM coming your way.

Danny C.

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#143390 - 12/26/11 04:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: Tony Wright]
MountainSide Offline

Loc: Florida
Welcome to Florida Tony...these 80 degree days we've been having are sure to get our Northern friends jealous!
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700k, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB 2018v513, RB 2018v5, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express XT, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.7 SampleTank 3.7

#143391 - 12/26/11 04:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My first gig in sunny Florida [Re: MountainSide]
Muzic Trax Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for the great report Tony. Three hours is a long time for a gig. I hope you have many more, if that is what you are wanting to do. Sounds like people had a great time and I heard the music was excellent !!

PG Music News
New Video - Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the Flash Drive Tutorial

When you order directly from us, there's an option to have your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK installation files sent to you on a flash drive (instead of DVD).
(this option appears during the check-out process)

We've created this handy tutorial video to walk you through the installation process:

Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson - YouTube Find (EricBlackmonGuitar)

Check out EricBlackmonGuitar's latest video, QUIK LICKS #14 Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson EricBlackmonGuitar HQ, where he not only teached a great guitar riff, but he also repeats that lick over a Band-in-a-Box backing track... what a great way to show how Band-in-a-Box is ideal for backing tracks!

Video link:

Thank you Eric!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Cleaned-up BB folder!

It's the first day of spring today, which means it's time to start spring cleaning!

We cleaned up the BB folder with our release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018. Over the years, this folder has been growing - there were up to 10,000 files in there! We've fixed this and put the files into various folders. This is done with a cleanup routine. The cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually by selecting the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine.

The cleanup routine does the following:
-Moves Styles files (.STY/.STX) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Styles.
-Moves Soloists files (.ST2/.XT2) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Soloists.
-Moves various Demo folders to C:\Demos.
-Moves various songs and lessons folders to C:\bb\Songs and Lessons.
-Moves various files essential for running Band-in-a-Box to C:\bb\Data and C:\bb\Data\Lib.
-Moves various preferences files to C:\bb\Preferences.
-Moves tutorial demo songs, program manuals (.pdf), and the help file (.chm) to C:\bb\Documentation.

Oliver Gannon Interview - Appointed to the Order of Canada!

Oliver Gannon (Peter Gannon's brother), was appointed to the Order of Canada in recognition for "his achievements as a musician" on December 29, 2017!

Oliver recently sat for an interview with CBC's Hot Air host Margaret Gallagher - read a summary and listen to the interview at

'I don't know ... why they chose me. But I'm very glad and I'm not giving it back'
-Oliver Gannon

To be clear, and avoid any confusion, there are two brothers: Peter Gannon is the "Band-in-a-Box" PG Music guy, and Oliver Gannon is the jazz guitarist who just won the Order of Canada.

#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

Forum Stats
27257 Members
49 Forums
50734 Topics
417559 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Apeckover2, RandallSmith, fingers55, Mjolnnir, BigRd

27257 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 178
Matt Finley 173