Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#16898 - 04/01/09 08:40 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Luvs3rds]
Brallan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA.

How about buying another KC350. Would give you better monitoring options, plus the two amps would link up for that rich stereo effect. They'll listen.

Plus, learn to play the old chestnut, "Your mind is on vacation (And your mouth is workin' overtime)".

Or, just get drunk and play "The wreck of the Old '97" over and over. The inebriates love it.

Brad

#16899 - 04/19/09 02:29 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
Riverglade Offline

Loc: Robertsdale AL
Rachael

I like the Hot Spot mounted right on the mic stand. A few times outdoors, or at the beach, there could have been something with a little more oomph but it worked.

A lot of the posts here stress being heard above the noise no matter what. I know that was not the original question. I would like to politely suggest that the nature of the gig be considered. Many performers have forgotten what it is like to be in the audience. I have been a sound man for 10 years and we get a lot of feedback. NPI

My voice does not carry. Projection lessons might be in order. If the entertainment is so loud that I have to get in someones ear just to be heard then I will just shut up, be polite and listen. Not that I am interested in the performer but that competing is not worth it.

Are you the show? Are people there to see you? Then crank it up.

Are people there to visit with friends in a pleasant atmosphere? Are you just the "Entertainment Provided"? Then be reasonable. If you were hired to provide background music then be the background. Provide a level where people who are paying attention can move closer and folks that want to chat can move to the back. During the break ask the host or manager and provide them with your reading of the crowd.

Here is what I go by. Are the chairs facing you? Let em have it. Are the chairs arranged around a table? Then show a little moderation until the audience turns their chairs of their own accord.

In many strict songwriter venues the audience will actually "shussh" the chatty ones around them so the performer can really be listened to at a moderate level.

Cheers - to having more chairs turned your way!

Dave G
Mi•Band - Home

#16900 - 04/29/09 06:02 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Riverglade]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
If you have a small MP3/FM reciever (Ipod or the like) Go buy the accessory FM transmitter for it, the reverse it. Plug the headphone out of the mixer to the line in on the transmitter, tune your Ipod to that station and plug the ear buds in. WaaLaa instant ear monitor system. Cheap but not to bad.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#16901 - 05/03/09 05:27 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Robh]
Maewyn Offline

I love these recommendations, all very good and interesting, because it really isn't about the program, it's about playing live I saw one post that said to elevate the speaker, that's good, and another, don't forget your monitor, that's good And, if it was there, I missed it (forgive me), point the speaker at YOU (with a lil distance, and not directly)...They'll still here it, and you will too

#16902 - 05/03/09 11:35 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Maewyn]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
You could also stop at your local audiologist and order a pair of Westone custom fit ES49 earplugs, which have a user-adjustable attenuation that is rather flat across all frequencies.

http://www.westone.com/index.php?load=content&page=index&page_id=190

Disclaimer: I now work for Westone.

-Scott

#16903 - 05/05/09 10:45 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi Rachel - the dynamics of the cocktail party - Actually if they moved a couple of step closer (cozy) rather than try to talk across wider spaces, there wouldn't be a problem - their conversation volume goes up in direct proportion to alcohol consumption

- I spent 20 years playing in bars with no monitoring system, just and my acoustic - sat right next to the column speaker as the monitor, that way I got the ones that reaLLY wanted to listen sitting right up front - the people at the back took their response cues from those at front. If I had to do it again I'd probably look at the "ear buds".
They might save hearing damage when trying to compete with loud groups.

Anyway, I found this link about the history of these "buds" http://www.livesoundint.com/archives/2001/julyaug/earworn1/earworn1.php
Cheers

#16904 - 06/30/09 08:18 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: MarioD]
mglinert Offline
Expert

Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit
Quote:

We used Hot Spot monitors and found them to work extremely well in these types of situations. We used the ones with a volume control as it gave each musician control over their monitors and also virtually eliminated feedback. ...

I recently bought myself one of these , an Alesis Transactive 50 for this very same purpose.
After 3 gigs I’m extremely happy with this solution.
The unit also sits on top of a straight mike stand so you can easily station it within arm’s length. This is important as it means you can adjust the volumes as necessary (some of my synth patches are, of course, louder than others).

#16905 - 07/06/09 09:58 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA

>>>>....Just wondering what I could do different or should I do anything at all?...>>>>

Here is an approach that might bear thinking about:

What did the person who writes the check have to say? If she thought everything was wonderful, that you did exactly what she wanted and she would hire you again, try doing nothing. You did what you were hired to do. You earned your fee and everyone is happy.

If YOU are not happy, that's a different story. You don't have to put up with loud, inattentive audiences if you prefer not to. Don't take the next gig.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#16906 - 07/07/09 04:44 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: flatfoot]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Hi Flatfoot,
I would have to agree. Even though there is the "artist" side of me that wants to be heard after all the hard work that goes into the preparation for a performance. But, I confess that I need to shift my gears from artist to employee when accepting a paid performance to where if the employer is happy, then the job was a success.

A couple of questions I ask the employer at our meeting are, "What are your expectations?" And, "What compliments would you like your guests to say upon leaving?"

Ricke

#16907 - 09/09/09 03:57 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: RickeG]
protostar Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I know I'm kind of late in this thread, but it's been a while since I've visited the PG Music Forums, and I'm playing "catchup". (as opposed to mustard)

Lots of good thoughts here... Since I'll be playing my first solo BB gig this weekend, I can't say from experience how to cope with the problem of a too-loud audience, for a soloist with BB accompaniment. But with bands I've been in over the years, this didn't seem to be much of a problem, because most of the time we used floor wedges or in-ears to monitor. For my setup, I'm just going to be using two speakers on stands. My strategy at this point is to have the speakers slightly behind me and to the sides, so that my mains are also my monitors. In my live test setups, feedback has not been any problem, even at moderately loud levels. Even though I'm not in the optimal spot to hear the speakers (outside the full-frequency dispersion pattern), I can still hear plenty of P.A. sound and my own playing. Well, since I'm playing flute & clarinet, hearing myself play is not a problem, but I'm saying that hearing the BB accompaniment through the P.A. is not a problem, either. I'm using cardioid and supercardioid mics, and close-miking the instruments, so I don't think I'll have a feedback problem.

And, since I'm billing myself as background music, I'm not concerned about my audiences "not paying attention" - there is no "show" per se. I'm just providing a sonic background tapestry, and like we used to say in the Army Bands when we would play dinner music at the Officer's Club, I'm playing "music to be ignored by". If the audience were to get really loud, so loud that I can't hear the speakers enough to stay in time with the music, I might crank up the volume a little, but I'm not going to get into a volume war with them. I'll just unmute the Melody track in BB and let the Band play for a while. And mime playing a la Milli Vanilli so that people think I'm actually playing. :-)

--Doug

Edited by protostar (09/09/09 04:03 PM)

#16908 - 09/09/09 10:29 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: protostar]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...
Ignore the audience - play your best.

If it works great for you and the whole sound check works, then just do it! Those who are interested will notice. Those who aren't - ain't nothing you can do about them anyway

HTH

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#16909 - 09/11/09 09:32 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: rockstar_not]
Mike Burdick Offline

Loc: Sedona AZ
I've been using a Fishman Solo Amp for my performances. I place it to my side and a bit behind me. It's pretty feedback resistant. Great carry-in and setup time, and it sounds great, too. Not a ton of thump (you'd need the Bose L1 plus sub for that), but it really gets the job done for me. I almost never miss a count-in as I'm hearing what the audience hears.

My $.02.

#16910 - 09/12/09 06:33 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Mike Burdick]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Hey Mike -

Just listened to the samples on your web site. Nice stuff!

#1-Win10Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
#2-Win10Pro-64,16GB,SSDBoot,7200RPM
#3-Win7Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
H/W: Onboard audio, FastTrack Pro, Casio Kbds
S/W: BB/RB2017/Sonar/Reaper/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/
NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web: http://www.sus4chord.com

#16911 - 09/12/09 07:04 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: jford]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...
I have the Yamaha StagePAS 300 . It is a great little PA system for anything from solo work to small bands. It does not feedback at all. I use my own for DJ shows, karaoke shows and personal performances. I have also used it outdoors with combos and a small band (5 musicians). The speakers are even shaped so that they can be used as on-stage monitors, placed on the floor and angled up at the performers, if necessary. The mixer has two ouptuts so you can use it with a larger system where needed (keep the StagePAS speakers on stage as monitors and plug the other output into the house PA system or other speakers). It is also very portable. Check it out

Of course, if you already have a PA system and just need a single on-stage monitor, I can recommend the Yamaha MSR100

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#16912 - 09/14/09 01:53 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: WienSam]
Wyndham Offline
Expert

Awhile back we had a little folk group. My wife was lead and the guitarist was harmony, I was sound guy. We did some local coffee shops and book stores and very few people ever took the time to pay any attention to what we were doing. I think we could have played the menu from a Chinese takeout and had the same effect. Got to have a thick skin.
One night we had the tip jar out with a couple of dollars seed money in it and had several fellows looking real hard at those dollars. Some nights it's chicken, other nights just feathers. Wyndham

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows is a HIT!

Since the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, we've received some great feedback!

"Oh wow. [The Audio Chord Wizard] has got to be the coolest enhancement to 2018 Band-in-a-Box. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
"2018 is a great release in so many ways!"
"Nice work, as usual!!"
"Luvin' it so far!"
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely 'must have'!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Every one of these tracks is phenomenal!"
"You guys just keep blowing us away."
"This is an amazing product. I tip my hat and thank you immensely."
"Awesome job once again!"
"What an unexpected treat!"
"What a fantastic idea PG music! I love to know who specifically thought of this idea. What an unexpected treat!!"
"Video set number three with Oliver Gannon is phenomenal just by itself! I've been asking for additional instruction from him for sometime And here it is! Plus it looks like there's something for everyone. You really out did yourself on this one PG Music - way to go!"
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid this could be!"
"Come on, whats not to like about this"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"
"What a release!!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"it's educational utility and potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me champing at the bit!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"Amazing!"

Upgrade your Band-in-a-Box® to version 2018 during our special for great savings & Bonus PAKs! www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video

Here's a video showing you the different ways you can use the Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks, new with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, now with Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks!

Plus, here are two audio demos, the full versions of two of the songs that appear in this video:

http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LAZYDAY_full_demo.m4a
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/DownByTheSalleyGardens_with_VocalOohsAahs.m4a

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Forum Stats
26736 Members
50 Forums
48998 Topics
400456 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Smashplex, PasUser, zeuxis, dsalbani, axeman49

26735 Registered Users