Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#16898 - 04/01/09 08:40 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Luvs3rds]
Brallan Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA.

How about buying another KC350. Would give you better monitoring options, plus the two amps would link up for that rich stereo effect. They'll listen.

Plus, learn to play the old chestnut, "Your mind is on vacation (And your mouth is workin' overtime)".

Or, just get drunk and play "The wreck of the Old '97" over and over. The inebriates love it.

Brad -- My FAWM

#16899 - 04/19/09 02:29 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
Riverglade Offline

Loc: Robertsdale AL

I like the Hot Spot mounted right on the mic stand. A few times outdoors, or at the beach, there could have been something with a little more oomph but it worked.

A lot of the posts here stress being heard above the noise no matter what. I know that was not the original question. I would like to politely suggest that the nature of the gig be considered. Many performers have forgotten what it is like to be in the audience. I have been a sound man for 10 years and we get a lot of feedback. NPI

My voice does not carry. Projection lessons might be in order. If the entertainment is so loud that I have to get in someones ear just to be heard then I will just shut up, be polite and listen. Not that I am interested in the performer but that competing is not worth it.

Are you the show? Are people there to see you? Then crank it up.

Are people there to visit with friends in a pleasant atmosphere? Are you just the "Entertainment Provided"? Then be reasonable. If you were hired to provide background music then be the background. Provide a level where people who are paying attention can move closer and folks that want to chat can move to the back. During the break ask the host or manager and provide them with your reading of the crowd.

Here is what I go by. Are the chairs facing you? Let em have it. Are the chairs arranged around a table? Then show a little moderation until the audience turns their chairs of their own accord.

In many strict songwriter venues the audience will actually "shussh" the chatty ones around them so the performer can really be listened to at a moderate level.

Cheers - to having more chairs turned your way!

Dave G
Mi•Band - Home

#16900 - 04/29/09 06:02 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Riverglade]
Robh Offline

Loc: California
If you have a small MP3/FM reciever (Ipod or the like) Go buy the accessory FM transmitter for it, the reverse it. Plug the headphone out of the mixer to the line in on the transmitter, tune your Ipod to that station and plug the ear buds in. WaaLaa instant ear monitor system. Cheap but not to bad.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#16901 - 05/03/09 05:27 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Robh]
Maewyn Offline

I love these recommendations, all very good and interesting, because it really isn't about the program, it's about playing live I saw one post that said to elevate the speaker, that's good, and another, don't forget your monitor, that's good And, if it was there, I missed it (forgive me), point the speaker at YOU (with a lil distance, and not directly)...They'll still here it, and you will too

#16902 - 05/03/09 11:35 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Maewyn]
rockstar_not Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
You could also stop at your local audiologist and order a pair of Westone custom fit ES49 earplugs, which have a user-adjustable attenuation that is rather flat across all frequencies.

Disclaimer: I now work for Westone.

#16903 - 05/05/09 10:45 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
Ian Fraser Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi Rachel - the dynamics of the cocktail party - Actually if they moved a couple of step closer (cozy) rather than try to talk across wider spaces, there wouldn't be a problem - their conversation volume goes up in direct proportion to alcohol consumption

- I spent 20 years playing in bars with no monitoring system, just and my acoustic - sat right next to the column speaker as the monitor, that way I got the ones that reaLLY wanted to listen sitting right up front - the people at the back took their response cues from those at front. If I had to do it again I'd probably look at the "ear buds".
They might save hearing damage when trying to compete with loud groups.

Anyway, I found this link about the history of these "buds"
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.

#16904 - 06/30/09 08:18 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: MarioD]
mglinert Offline

Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit

We used Hot Spot monitors and found them to work extremely well in these types of situations. We used the ones with a volume control as it gave each musician control over their monitors and also virtually eliminated feedback. ...

I recently bought myself one of these , an Alesis Transactive 50 for this very same purpose.
After 3 gigs I’m extremely happy with this solution.
The unit also sits on top of a straight mike stand so you can easily station it within arm’s length. This is important as it means you can adjust the volumes as necessary (some of my synth patches are, of course, louder than others).
Marc's SoundCloud
Marc's SoundClick

#16905 - 07/06/09 09:58 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
flatfoot Offline

Loc: Sacramento CA

>>>>....Just wondering what I could do different or should I do anything at all?...>>>>

Here is an approach that might bear thinking about:

What did the person who writes the check have to say? If she thought everything was wonderful, that you did exactly what she wanted and she would hire you again, try doing nothing. You did what you were hired to do. You earned your fee and everyone is happy.

If YOU are not happy, that's a different story. You don't have to put up with loud, inattentive audiences if you prefer not to. Don't take the next gig.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
My BiaB lesson site:

#16906 - 07/07/09 04:44 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: flatfoot]
RickeG Offline

Hi Flatfoot,
I would have to agree. Even though there is the "artist" side of me that wants to be heard after all the hard work that goes into the preparation for a performance. But, I confess that I need to shift my gears from artist to employee when accepting a paid performance to where if the employer is happy, then the job was a success.

A couple of questions I ask the employer at our meeting are, "What are your expectations?" And, "What compliments would you like your guests to say upon leaving?"

#16907 - 09/09/09 03:57 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: RickeG]
protostar Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I know I'm kind of late in this thread, but it's been a while since I've visited the PG Music Forums, and I'm playing "catchup". (as opposed to mustard)

Lots of good thoughts here... Since I'll be playing my first solo BB gig this weekend, I can't say from experience how to cope with the problem of a too-loud audience, for a soloist with BB accompaniment. But with bands I've been in over the years, this didn't seem to be much of a problem, because most of the time we used floor wedges or in-ears to monitor. For my setup, I'm just going to be using two speakers on stands. My strategy at this point is to have the speakers slightly behind me and to the sides, so that my mains are also my monitors. In my live test setups, feedback has not been any problem, even at moderately loud levels. Even though I'm not in the optimal spot to hear the speakers (outside the full-frequency dispersion pattern), I can still hear plenty of P.A. sound and my own playing. Well, since I'm playing flute & clarinet, hearing myself play is not a problem, but I'm saying that hearing the BB accompaniment through the P.A. is not a problem, either. I'm using cardioid and supercardioid mics, and close-miking the instruments, so I don't think I'll have a feedback problem.

And, since I'm billing myself as background music, I'm not concerned about my audiences "not paying attention" - there is no "show" per se. I'm just providing a sonic background tapestry, and like we used to say in the Army Bands when we would play dinner music at the Officer's Club, I'm playing "music to be ignored by". If the audience were to get really loud, so loud that I can't hear the speakers enough to stay in time with the music, I might crank up the volume a little, but I'm not going to get into a volume war with them. I'll just unmute the Melody track in BB and let the Band play for a while. And mime playing a la Milli Vanilli so that people think I'm actually playing. :-)

Edited by protostar (09/09/09 04:03 PM)
Visit the Elegance Music page on MySpace for samples of my current work.

#16908 - 09/09/09 10:29 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: protostar]
WienSam Offline

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...
Ignore the audience - play your best.

If it works great for you and the whole sound check works, then just do it! Those who are interested will notice. Those who aren't - ain't nothing you can do about them anyway

Follow That Dream

Karaoke King

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#16909 - 09/11/09 09:32 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: rockstar_not]
Mike Burdick Offline

Loc: Sedona AZ
I've been using a Fishman Solo Amp for my performances. I place it to my side and a bit behind me. It's pretty feedback resistant. Great carry-in and setup time, and it sounds great, too. Not a ton of thump (you'd need the Bose L1 plus sub for that), but it really gets the job done for me. I almost never miss a count-in as I'm hearing what the audience hears.

My $.02.

#16910 - 09/12/09 06:33 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Mike Burdick]
jford Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Hey Mike -

Just listened to the samples on your web site. Nice stuff!

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#16911 - 09/12/09 07:04 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: jford]
WienSam Offline

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...
I have the Yamaha StagePAS 300 . It is a great little PA system for anything from solo work to small bands. It does not feedback at all. I use my own for DJ shows, karaoke shows and personal performances. I have also used it outdoors with combos and a small band (5 musicians). The speakers are even shaped so that they can be used as on-stage monitors, placed on the floor and angled up at the performers, if necessary. The mixer has two ouptuts so you can use it with a larger system where needed (keep the StagePAS speakers on stage as monitors and plug the other output into the house PA system or other speakers). It is also very portable. Check it out

Of course, if you already have a PA system and just need a single on-stage monitor, I can recommend the Yamaha MSR100

Follow That Dream

Karaoke King

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#16912 - 09/14/09 01:53 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: WienSam]
Wyndham Offline

Awhile back we had a little folk group. My wife was lead and the guitarist was harmony, I was sound guy. We did some local coffee shops and book stores and very few people ever took the time to pay any attention to what we were doing. I think we could have played the menu from a Chinese takeout and had the same effect. Got to have a thick skin.
One night we had the tip jar out with a couple of dollars seed money in it and had several fellows looking real hard at those dollars. Some nights it's chicken, other nights just feathers. Wyndham

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

#TBT - Automatic Soloing in Band-in-a-Box® 7!

Band-in-a-Box® 7 included some great new features - like Automatic Soloing! This introduced program users to the powerful Soloist capabilities of Band-in-a-Box®, which also includes the Soloist Maker.

Automatic Soloing!
Pick any song or chords in any style, and choose a "soloist." Band-in-a-Box® then creates and plays a professional quality solo in the style of your choice. Previous versions of Band-in-a-Box created great accompaniment. Now you can hear sensational solos as well - showing you exactly what notes are played. Choose from "soloists" in the style similar to great Jazz musicians such as Django Reinhardt, John Coltrane, or Country/Pop soloists and others, or create your own soloists using the "Soloist Maker."

Soloist Maker
This module allows you to define your own soloists. For example, let's say you want to create a soloist in a style similar to the style of "John Coltrane" - the great Jazz saxophonist. The Soloist Maker allows you to define the parameters essential to Coltrane's playing, such as instrument range (i.e. tenor saxophone), extra legato playing, playing more on top of the beat than typical Jazz musicians, and playing straighter 8th notes than usual Swing 8th notes. Also, you can set phrasing options, such as how long the phrase should be and how much "space" to leave between phrases. You can also set how "outside" the playing should be. In the case of a John Coltrane style - you set that to the maximum! Then "turn him loose" and hear the soloist play over any song!

Review all of the features added with Band-in-a-Box® 7:

#TechTipTuesday - Opening MIDI Tracks in PowerTracks Pro Audio

Open your MIDI file in PowerTracks Pro Audio (or RealBand), and you'll see the instruments separated onto their own track - an excellent way to hear all the instruments individually for that song, and a great way to learn!

There's no trick to it either - just use the File | Open dialog, locate the MIDI file, and click [Open].

Note: Type 0 MIDI files have all channels on one track, and should ask whether you want to separate them. If you accidentally chooses no, hit Edit - MIDI - Extract Channels to Tracks. Typically, Type 1 MIDI files have the instruments automatically separated.

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks, including 8 Sets (68 RealTracks) for Rock-Pop!

Learn more about these and listen to demos:

RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop includes:
RealTracks Set 286: Pop & Rock Guitars with Brent & Joe
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter - Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 288: Southern Pop Drums with Land Richards
RealTracks Set 289: Fretless Bass, Pop Keys, and Punk Drums
RealTracks Set 290: More Pop Percussion Singles
RealTracks Set 291: Modern Dancehall
RealTracks Set 292: Klezmer!
RealTracks Set 293: A Taste of Europe - France, Italy, and Sweden

Purchasing the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 PlusPAK, UltraPAK, or Audiophile Edition? These new Rock-PopRealTracks are already included!
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro and MegaPAK customers interested in adding these to their collection can purchase RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop for just $79 at

Audio Edit Window Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, the Audio Edit Window GUI has been updated to include a dedicated settings button and a Marker Mode button. Plus, editing features can now be applied to the entire track (if no specific region is highlighted).

We've also added the following items to the Edit button within the Audio Edit Window:

Paste (Mix) - This will mix the audio from the clipboard with the existing audio instead of overwriting it. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the existing audio to keep and the pasted audio to mix in.
Paste (Insert) - This will insert the audio from the clipboard to the current location, instead of overwriting the existing audio. The audio to the right of the insertion point will be shifted to make room for the new audio.
Delete - This will delete the selected region of audio.
Insert Silence - This will insert silence at the cursor. The duration of the silence inserted will be equal to the duration of the selected region.
Convert Channels - If the audio is stereo, this will convert it to mono. If it’s mono, this will convert it to stereo. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the left and right channels to include.
Harmonize - This will launch the Audio Harmony dialog, which can be used to harmonize the selected region of audio.
Transcribe - This will transcribe the audio to the Melody or Soloist track.
Fix Tuning - This will automatically correct the tuning of the selected region according to the key of your song. For example, in the key of C, if a C# is detected then it will be transposed down to C or up to D depending on which one is closer.

Forum Stats
27249 Members
49 Forums
50699 Topics
417185 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
DelRock, James Franklin, Zipit, Will Sam, zycos35960

27248 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 178
VideoTrack 168