You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#210192 - 07/23/13 11:07 AM [User Showcase] SNAKE LIPS
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
SNAKE LIPS

I couldn't get this little ditty outa my head while mountain biking the other day. Since I'm just a rhythm player I decided to see how close I could come to the concept using Realtracks only.....so this is our first post of an instrumental. Having played bluegrass for decades the arrangement wasn't much of a problem -- the issue was how to get the Realtrack solos to approximate my ideas and even more so how to make the different solos play close enough to maintain the feel.

As it turned out it was a tougher project than ANY of the vocal tunes that we've posted over the last 18 months. It took 10 different Realtracks and up to 25 generations of the each solo track to get enough "snippets" to piece together to get the melodic flow that I was looking for. I created a chord structure that would enhance this by forcing some quick changes, minor chords, and stops on the Realtracks. I find that these techniques give more unique Realtracks to play with. Although there is not a lead guitar solo in the tune I had to use lead guitar Realtracks to get the runs to complete the rhythm track -- at which point I was thinking maybe I should have just played the $%^#$ track! But the Realtrack challenge kept me at it.

I realize that if you aren't a bluegrass aficionado it probably just sounds like all bluegrass -- but what the heck. It's short at 1:55 but too tedious to make it longer and for many folks that may be 1:55 too long!

All tracks are Realtracks solo or rhythm from the bluegrass sets. Editing via Garageband.

Recent Posts
FIRE THE NEXT TIME
TRYIN'

Edited by Janice & Bud (07/23/13 11:10 AM)
J&B Website

#210194 - 07/23/13 11:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
well, the title sucked me in like I was a bird flying too close to a jet engine...

In my opinion, one of the hardest things to do is make an instrumental that holds the listener's interest. This not only held my interest it was a real toe tapper! I can see how the rhythmic pedaling of a mountain bike ride might produce this song!

And as usual your surgical editing effectively produced solos that sound remarkably like real players

great job! Let's see now, that's about um... 100% in a row , all winners? Yep, I think that's about right...

#210203 - 07/23/13 12:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice and Bud,

like Pat the title attracted me, although I can't find such poetic words for that.
The words I find for the song are: as if made from one piece, homogeneous, completely rounded, flawless and seamless.
I really enjoyed listening.

Guenter

#210215 - 07/23/13 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Hey Bud,

Great job! Your splicing abilities are second to none! grin

Greg

#210319 - 07/24/13 06:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Bud,

This took, what... 10-15 minutes? (days, I'd imagine...). I can't imagine taking the time it must have taken to do this.

Maybe the best (most "real") instrumental I've ever heard from BIAB! Like a bunch of old bluegrassers got together and traded licks on an old classic.

As good as it gets. (I keep that in a file called "Bud" for when I need to copy it).

Incredible.

floyd

#210373 - 07/25/13 11:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: floyd jane]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Janice and Bud
Sensational.
Definitely had no desire to fast forward any of that, wanted to hear every single toe-tappin' beat.
Great job. Congratulations.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#210389 - 07/25/13 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
SpaceDog Online   content
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Janice and Bud,
Sounds like it was quite a chore but the end product is great!
SD

#210403 - 07/25/13 05:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Toe tappin, Jug blowin fun! Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#210444 - 07/26/13 04:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Wonderful stuff Bud and Janice. I was never really a listener of bluegrass but I am really starting to appreciate it. Especially when I hear a piece of music like this.

#210464 - 07/26/13 10:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Janice and Bud,

I'm sitting here flicking the pages of my "Australian Concise Oxford English Dictionary" trying to find some new superlatives. When it comes to describing my impression of your works, I'm finding that I keep recycling the same old words and phrases over and over.

I have to say that as I was sitting here listening. I could "see" the band in front of me playing this. The music was assembled together perfectly. I reckon that this is one of the best compilation of Realtracks I've ever heard.

All the best,
Noel

#210525 - 07/27/13 12:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Bud & Janice,

Really enjoyed this.

Made me feel like having some fun cutting loose buck dancing.

Very cool the way you weaved in all the stops.

#210560 - 07/27/13 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
gruverider Offline
Expert

yes I really like the "stops" adds a perfect emphasis!

sounds great!

and natural to me

#210714 - 07/29/13 12:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Bud and Janice,

You have taken the realtracks to another level.
Splicing is an area, need to learn. Re-gening, very
familiar, but again you took it up several notches.

My brilliant Father was keyboards, piano/organ, harmonica,
mouth harp, several squeeze boxes. As a youngster when
families used to get together and make music.

You folks music, all of it reminds me of those "happier" days.

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#211144 - 08/02/13 04:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: floyd jane]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Bud,

Maybe the best (most "real") instrumental I've ever heard from BIAB! Like a bunch of old bluegrassers got together and traded licks on an old classic.

As good as it gets. (I keep that in a file called "Bud" for when I need to copy it).

Incredible.

floyd

I agree. This is very ‘organic’ sounding. I can picture a group of bluegrass musicians sitting on the front porch, sipping moonshine and picking and grinning. I wasn’t on the porch, sipping moonshine or picking but I sure was grinning!

Another winner!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#211171 - 08/02/13 09:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
One heck of a job arranging and mixing this baby. I felt like I was on the porch with the musicians stomping my feet.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#211246 - 08/03/13 05:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: SNAKE LIPS [Re: Janice & Bud]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Many thanks to everybody for taking the time to listen and respond. I know bluegrass is a niche genre and rarely heard by a lot of folks other than as movie soundtracks, etc....so I even more appreciate the kind comments. My DAW screen looked mostly like a patch work quilt when I finished this project. Now, back to Janice's vocals -- more fun!
J&B Website

PG Music News
Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Musician Brent Mason in the Studio Recording RealTracks!

Before leaving Nashville, Tobin caught up with Brent Mason recording some future RealTracks in the studio.

We can't wait to hear them!

Video - Adding RealTracks to Your Band-in-a-Box® Song

There are 300 RealTracks Sets available (over 2,500 RealTracks!), and here at PG Music we have this to say about them: You'll want to use RealTracks in all of your projects... and you can!

But what if you're not sure how to add them to your Band-in-a-Box® song? We have a video for that! Click here to watch...

Save Notation Window as a Video with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Did you know... Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac allows you to save the Notation Window as a video? What a great way to share your songs with users, and LEARN from the notation as you listen!

From the program manual:
[Save As] | Save as video
-In the Make Notation Video dialog, select a track at the upper left corner. (Note: The dialog title says “Make Chord Sheet Video” until you select a track.)
-You can also set the dimension (width/height) of the video and select the number of frames per second and a specific codec.
-Press the [OK - Render Video] button to start rendering the video. When the video has been created, press the [Show Video File] button.
-You can then double click on the file to watch the rendered video.

Note: A special use of this feature is to combine a Video RealTracks (new with version 2018) with the corresponding notation in a single video. This creates an educational video, which shows the actual performance with notation/tab, playing over your chord progression! To do this, right-click on the Master button or one of the track buttons at the top of the main screen and select Render Video(s) from the menu.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Resource - Individual New Features Videos

The release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac added 50+ new features and enhancements, Video RealTracks, 202 new RealTracks, and more!

Here is a summary of the videos created to highlight the new additions and features:
(click on the title to play the video)
-Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes!
-Complete New Features Video
-2018 Audio Chord Wizard
-Piano Roll Window
-Vocal Ooh & Aahs
-Audio Harmonies
-Video RealTracks
-202 NEW RealTracks
-40 Bonus RealTracks in the 2018 49-PAK

Summer NAMM 2018 Shout Out!

We were just down in Nashville for the 2018 Summer NAMM show. We were especially excited to attend this trade show as we've had a number or musicians record RealTracks for us in Nashville, and we hoped to meet them in person!

Click here to see everyone who stopped by!

From left to right:

RealTracks Producer Mike Harrison, PG Music's own Tobin Frank, and RealTracks Artist Wanda Vick
RealTracks Artist Eddy Dunlap & Tobin
Tobin with RealTracks Artist Brent Mason
RealTracks Artists Dave Cleveland and Darin Favorite with Mike and Tobin
Tobin with Brent Mason, Mike Harris, and Darin Favorite
Mike & RealTracks Artist Jelly Roll Johnson
Tobin & RealTracks Artist Jason Roller
Tobin with RealTracks Artist Tony King
Band-in-a-Box Endorser Bobby Cochran with Tobin & Mike

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. It was so great to meet everyone!!

Forum Stats
27716 Members
50 Forums
52593 Topics
435897 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jigelaz, gerry logan, jack homburg, perljazz, dreamoutlaw

27715 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 155
Noel96 153