Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#21621 - 05/06/09 01:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Mac]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Now you've defined what works for you. Groovy. If I had a laptop or a handheld, perhaps I could do those things too. Still prefer paper, myself. Getting whiteout off a lappy screen is a b*tch.

lolz
r.

#21622 - 05/06/09 03:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Ryszard]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Rys,
I'm really going to go where I know I shouldn't.

You might consider replacing the computer.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...671&topnav=

That's a Dell system available at Costco.

This is a ZT system from Costco.

This is another ZT system from Costco

This is from iBuyPower, and may actually be your best bet. It has an Asus mobo (which I use in my computers), a bigger power supply, only a dual core processor, but you really don't need anything else. All of these run 64 bit OS's, and as long as you can get drivers, you should be fine. Lots of companies offer 64 bit drivers for products now.

In any of these choices, you can move the 160 gig hard drive from your old computer, and you'll have to use the monitor you have now. I wouldn't trust to update the BIOS in your old computer, I'm sorry to say. You could, easily, leave yourself in a situation where you'll not be able to use the computer at all until you physically replace the CMOS chips. I don't trust ECS/PCChips at all, I've known too many people who have had issues with them. It is even possible that the 80 gig is still good, and you may be able to save that, as well.

I trust Steve Gibson, but if you have a BIOS issue, then Spinrite can get screwed up. My opinion is that a newer computer will save you a lot of hassles.

I know, I'm sure, that price is an issue, but it's the best solution I have right now.

I went out to iBuyPower's website, and they also have Weekly specials, like this one:
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=69

Plus, you have the ability to custom configure the system. The only things I would do to this system would be to be to put a 500 watt power supply in it for $30, spend an extra $50 to install a second 320GB hard drive, and if you wanted a 20" widescreen monitor, spend $170 more for that. Without the monitor, you're still under $600.

Gary

Edited by Gary Curran (05/06/09 04:02 PM)

#21623 - 05/06/09 05:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Gary Curran]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Gary, I really appreciate the advice. I do. It's not that you shouldn't go there, it's just that I can't. I've nickel and dimed myself on this one, but the 500 Gb WD Caviar drive is it, todo, all there is. In the meantime I am getting useful work out of it, and I think the new drive will make the audio run seamlessly. I don't regret the nickels and dimes, either, because I've learned all along. Even though I've been frustrated along the way, it has led me to where I am now, with a dated but functional DAW. "Everything I know about computers, I learned in self defense."(c)

I've heard comments on Maxtor reliability, mostly from Lawrie as I recall. I lost an unbacked-up Maxtor 60 Gb main drive in my last move; it worked when I packed the machine, didn't when I unpacked it, and I'm the one who moved it. This drive is at least five years old, came out of a SOHO network server, and has half the throughput of my present main drive, so when the WD arrives I pull everything off and build a pr0n cruisin' virus catcher with the old drive, lol. I don't trust it for NOTHIN'.

R.

#21624 - 05/06/09 08:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Ryszard]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
And I figured as much, Rys. Still, computer prices are coming down, so at some point in the future, it may be possible to do something.

But, let's concentrate on now.

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Pro...D=1&LanID=0

This is the BIOS flash page, but you need to have version 5.1 motherboard. If you don't, you'll need to see what version of the motherboard you do have, and then get *that* BIOS.

There is a link on that page that shows you where to find the version information.

At the bottom of the page, there is a BIOS flash utility. You can open that up, load the flash data file, and then click whatever it says to do to flash it. You have to follow the directions exactly though. Failure of a flash will render your computer totally useless. Yes, that's scary, no, I've never had an issue with it...don't do it in a thunderstorm where the power may go out, or where you kitten will sit on your UPS switch and turn everything off (mine does that all the time!) You shouldn't have any issues updating the BIOS, it's not very hard.

The thing I like about Steve Gibson is he doesn't give you any B.S. He lays it out and tells you WHY stuff isn't working. Since I've now read the link you posted, you may have the latest BIOS on your computer, if which is the case, then there is no reason to try to update it. As I've said before, I don't trust ESC or PC Chips. You *might* be able to find something compatible with your CPU on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIGABYTE-SOCKET-A-MO...93%3A1|294%3A50

Maybe something like that, used, but inexpensive, and I've used Gigabyte in the past (still have one, a 754 socket, runs fine) and have been very happy with it. In fact, my other Gigabyte board now resides in my sister's computer, which is a 939 socket, and that one also continues to work fine.

You can also find Asus, MSI, and others that will work well for Socket A for a relatively inexpensive, more nickles and dimes stuff, that would probably serve you better than the PC Chips mainboard you have now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ABIT-KG7A-RAID-S...93%3A1|294%3A50

Gary

Edited by Gary Curran (05/06/09 08:43 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

Forum Stats
27631 Members
50 Forums
52264 Topics
432659 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Waaree, Eridanus, Flower, BjornTopo, lauzah

27631 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 182
Noel96 168