You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#330661 - 01/11/16 01:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] MusicXML import anomalies.
robvh Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nederland
If importing MusicXML in BIAB time-modifications it will create many more time-modifications (the 3 over two notes) then available in the original score, since it will open with triple resolution by definition and creates it's own interpretation about the score writing. At the same time if you switch off the triple resolution deliberately it will also ignore the original available triple resolution. In other words it never can reproduce the original file in this example.

I added a pdf print from an imported MusicXML into MuseScore which shows at the first page the original available three time modifications in measures 7 (2x) and 24.

Disturbing matters in order of importance imo:

1. The second pdf page shows the imported file into BIAB. It will use triplet resolution on and show ca 45 time modifications. If you switch triplet resolution off it will show no time modifications at all (third page).
2. Secondly it will not import song title name which is in this example 'Round Midnight. (instead: I manually did add as title some file info)
3. It will not detect repeat symbols also not in the "fake mode" end also not the added end bar (measure 8).
4. It will only show 1 line of lyrics.
5. The composers name is adding all names available from composer, poet and/or lyricist in one row into "Composer" and repeat a part of the end in "Composer2"

Example files can be found here:
PDF: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7389688_4167795_9392748
MusicXML: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7389688_4167795_9392740

Edited by robvh (01/13/16 09:48 AM)

#330684 - 01/11/16 06:14 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: MusicXML import anomalies. [Re: robvh]
Dave Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I can't say that I am surprised about the lyrics / returns. In BIAB these have always been treated as a print function. The song is one long linear unit, that BIAB can interpret as a multi line fake sheet.

I suspect that taking a BIAB with multi line lyrics, returns, endings etc, will yield an XML file that is equally difficult to use.

Have you tried setting a non-triplet style before importing? I know that if you open a midi waltz, you can get strange results unless BIAB has a waltz style in place. I suspect the default style is triplet (probably ZZJAZZ) which may cause the XMLimport to get confused.

#330708 - 01/11/16 07:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: MusicXML import anomalies. [Re: Dave]
robvh Offline
Enthusiast

If you switch it to non-triplet, it automatically has been switched back to triplet after you've imported a file. But this seem to be only valid for my XP I discovered. For W10 it stays at non-triplet but it then ignores all triplets created in the MusicXML. Setting it at triplet it still creates numerous unwished triplets. So the results are still identical to my XP results.

Edited by robvh (01/13/16 09:52 AM)

#333465 - 01/26/16 03:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: MusicXML import anomalies. [Re: robvh]
Jeff Yankauer Offline
PG Music Developer

BIAB and RB import the notes of a MusicXML file as if the file were a MIDI file...in other words, the importing was designed to mainly just read in the times, pitches, and durations of notes in a similar manner to importing a .MID file, and then the notation window itself will display the notation based in it's own auto-notate routines. Some other parameters that RB/BIAB support, such as slurs and accents are supported as well.

In other words, the importing wasn't really designed so that it will display exactly what is displayed in scoring programs. In order to do that, we would really need to create a whole new alternate notation window (a scoring window?) where it stores all the score-based parameters of a note rather than mainly just notes/times/durations. BIAB and RB aren't scoring programs per se, so I'm not sure how feasible that would be (getting a new window like that implemented could take years as well, I suppose).

Thanks.

Edited by Jeff Yankauer (01/26/16 03:31 PM)

#333539 - 01/27/16 01:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: MusicXML import anomalies. [Re: robvh]
robvh Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose the best thing is always to use the "non-triplet" setting diring import of xml otherwise too many notes will unexpectedly show up as triplets.

Rob

PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27840 Members
51 Forums
53043 Topics
440388 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Guitarrocks, helmut_K, Jerome1968, jfrances, LatinoMike

27840 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 141