Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#347865 - 04/29/16 03:57 PM [User Showcase] HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation!
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Our new song:

Sometimes you spent weeks composing, arranging and tweaking your song. And then suddenly you finish up your best one (MO) in only a matter of days.
This 70s soul track came very natural in several ways. The Biab style had a very nice groove to begin with. Then there was the, more or less, accidental key signature I tried, that left me lots of space for a falsetto voice throughout the entire song (giving Anne-Marie enough space to create a harmony vocal).
Both the guitar soloists we tried, played way better together than we anticipated. We accidentally let one of them run at a lower volume throughout the final choruses and that worked surprisingly well as an addition to the vocals there. We were also lucky to not mind the mastering volume in Cubase which caused a tiny bit of distortion in the last part of the song, which in turn created that typical soft overdrive sound you may remember to be typical for the last track on each side of a record (long before there were CDs). It's also typical for soul music in general in those days.

Like many of you we watched Pat Marr's beautiful animated BIAB testimonial several months back. I couldn't resist asking him to create an animation for this song, being pretty sure he would come up with something special. Well he did. He also managed to give the lyrics and theme of the song a very original twist.
Creating such an animation takes a lot of creativity, work and even more time. We are very thankful for his hard work!
The program used here is Muvizu. Since it's such a cool program I decided to give it to Anne-Marie for her birthday (which isn't anytime soon laugh ) At the moment we are only scratching the surface, realizing how much work this must've been for Pat!

Go see for yourself!

Rob

Style is _DISCO54.STY (Discotheque Funky Disco)

RealTracks:
2608:Bass, Electric, ModernDiscoFunkAlex Ev 110
1437:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
2618:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Funk16thsMutedWahWah Ev16 100
1436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinMute Ev16 110
2273:Synth, Rhythm DiscoDigiBell Ev 120
1256 Guitar El. Rhythm PopShining Gritty
2305 SynthBackgroundDanceRockTensionPad
RealDrums: SynthDrumsDisco^1-a:Snare, Kick , b:Snare Busy,

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#347907 - 04/30/16 01:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
animarorecords Offline
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Rob and Anne-Marie and Pat

This is a groovy and happy sound that reminds me Saturday Night Fever.
70’s soul sound has been beautifully reproduced.
And Pat's Animation is so cool and a perfect match for the song.
I really really enjoyed this.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#347911 - 04/30/16 01:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Rob, Anne-Marie and Pat,

I totally agree with everything Shigeki Adachi said. I really enjoyed this and it radiates with a presentation that's à la 70s (including vocals in the style of Barry Gibb! Nice!). Rob, you've excelled yourself. Anne-Marie, your ability to harmonise with precision and confidence is a skill I admire greatly. And Pat... wow!!!.... great video indeed. Your overly-enthusiastic-dog ending took me totally by surprise! I'm still laughing smile

Regards to all,
Noel

#347922 - 04/30/16 04:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi R & A-M.

Absolutely fabulous and the best thing I've seen/heard on the forum for a long, long time.

What a superb track! It's just inspired and has to be your best ever. Everything about it is perfect, from the disco backing to Rob's amazing falsetto and Anne-Marie's super harmonies. Yes, very much in the Night Fever/Staying Alive vein. Great choice of instruments and solos and a spot-on mix. You must be proud of this.

And Pat! You've excelled this time, my old pal. This is professional level animation. Not only is the technical side good, but the story board, the creativity and the humour propel this to a level we've never seen before on the forum.

Brilliant piece of work from you all. I'm going to put a link to this on our music-prof facebook page.

ROG.

#347936 - 04/30/16 05:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Rob/Anne-Marie/Pat...

Zowie, that's good!

Super vocals (of course). The whole tracks "pops". The synths have the power that they need to make this work the way it should - and that's no easy feat. Stellar mix.

Great animation, Pat. So good that I "lost myself" in it - meaning, I stopped thinking about the animation (process) itself - and simply watched the story. That seldom happens (for me).

Y'all should all be proud of this one (I'm sure you are).

floyd

#347944 - 04/30/16 07:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Rob, Anne-Marie and Pat,

it's all been said above. I assist that you all can
be proud of this project.
I really enjoyed.

Guenter

#347946 - 04/30/16 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This one certainly has the ***WOW*** factor. Great song, great mix and superb performance. The video is fabulous.

Very professional at every level. Loved it from start to finish.

#347958 - 04/30/16 11:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi guys great peace all of it everything fit together well done thanks for sharing a good work eric

#347993 - 04/30/16 04:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Oops... yes, I was talking about the soloists, but forgot to post them:
669 GuitarSlideBackground Easy Southern
1260 Guitar El.Soloist PopShining
1274 Guitar El.Soloist PopUplift Bluesy

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#347997 - 04/30/16 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
Caloo Offline
Apprentice

Loc: St-Pierre-et-Miquelon
It's Saturday night here and I am listening to your song RnAM. What a fever !!! Agree with Shigeki.

Before reading your comment, I didn't remark that you were singing Rob, I thought it was Anne-Marie. You master very well this technique too, "la voix de tête" as we say in french. What you don't master ?

Thank for having added the soloist RTs in your last post. Well put on the tune !

The animated video is awesome too. Another technique that we would like to control as well as this ! (never tried, just with pieces of paper when I was a kid)

Congratulations all
Pascal

(David Lynch - Mulholland Drive)

#348007 - 04/30/16 08:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
Pat Marr Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Just a quick comment from my point of view:

When Rob And Anne-Marie asked me to make an animation for their song I was very happy to be included in a collaboration on such a good song... I love everything about it! They perfectly captured the 70s disco era sound, and all they asked of me was to present the visuals in a way that also matched the era... the green and orange interior decorating that was all the rage in the 70s, and of course, we'd need a mirrored disco ball.

I'd already done 2 music videos that were basically a band playing the song, and I wanted this video to tell a story. One of the lines in the song gave me an idea: "Holding you close this sweet loving could never be wrong..." and I immediately wondered what would happen if this sweet loving WAS wrong?? (yeah we need to make it wrong, wrong, wrong!)

The pilot video (which had to be trimmed down to fit the song) included more scenes that developed the dog's love for his owner. From the time the girl put the cassette in the player and turned it on, the rest of the video is from the point of view of the dog's imagination. (until the end when the girl snaps him out of it)

Depending on how you perceive it, the surprise ending could be either funny or offensive. We collectively decided to take the chance in hope that anybody who has ever owned a male dog would identify with the outcome. If anybody was/is offended by the leg humping... I apologize. But if you took the bait and resolved the surprise with a chuckle... thanks for "getting it!" That makes me happy!

I should probably mention that it was actually Rob and Anne-Marie who created the video in its final form. I provided one overly long rough version plus about 30 minutes worth of footage of different scenes from a variety of camera angles, then they took what they wanted and added some cool transitions. Without a doubt, what they ended up with is far superior to what I sent them!

Many thanks to RnAM for letting me take part in the project! It has been a pleasure working with you on this awesome song!

#348008 - 04/30/16 09:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Well done.
Thanks for sharing this ..
Normally when I hear something referencing 'the 70s disco era sound' I cringe, but this was fun.
smile

#348013 - 05/01/16 12:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Finland
Beautiful song with nice "Bee Gees" disco feel, perfect selection of instruments, very well sung and the animated video is funny. The soloing dog is my favourite part smile I was hoping the chorus part would lead to a really catchy hook ala "Tragedy", but maybe its better this way to avoid plagiarism smile

Janne

#348051 - 05/01/16 09:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: RnAM]
PaddyG Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Cape Town
As they say, ‘love it when a good thing comes together’ this is a perfect example, song and video
The Dawg doing a Mark Knopfler was a hoot. The ending ? I think in addition to his many talents, Pat Marr has a wicked sense of humor.

Paddy G

Edited by PaddyG (05/01/16 09:19 AM)

#348099 - 05/01/16 09:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: HOLDING YOU - with Pat Marr animation! [Re: jannesan]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Beautiful song with nice "Bee Gees" disco feel, perfect selection of instruments, very well sung and the animated video is funny. The soloing dog is my favourite part smile I was hoping the chorus part would lead to a really catchy hook ala "Tragedy", but maybe its better this way to avoid plagiarism smile

Janne

This took me immediately back to the 70's-a very nice trip!! Sounds awesome! Everything works! Was it just a coincidence that the animator looked like Barry? Pat did an amazing job-he is a man of wonderful talent and intelligence! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

#TBT - The Beginning of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box®

We released the much-loved Xtra Styles PAKs in August 2016! This release included 164 RealStyles for Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter and worked with any Band-in-a-Box® 2016 or higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Xtra Styles PAKs were such a hit... we couldn't stop making them! Since their introduction, we've released 3 more PAKs with a total of over 600 Xtra Styles in all!

Want to hear what other program users are doing with their Xtra Styles? Visit our Xtra STyles Contests forum to hear all the songs submitted during previous song contest we've had: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=102&page=1

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and listen to their demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

Band-in-a-Box® Customer Feedback - Feel The Love!

Check out some great feedback we've received on our Facebook account from program users:

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box for years. It is the anchor of my music gigs as well as my fun in my studio. I have used other software but Band-in-a-Box is my main go to."
-Jack T.

"Love Band-in-a-Box. As someone who played professionally for 20 years and retired from live performing years ago, I still love music. Band-in-a-Box allows me to create fun arrangements which I can sing over or play over. There are THOUSANDS of different variations plus you can enter any chords you like and create any chart. It's also great for creating background tracks for videos and audio content for websites, training etc. And like everything else in the world . . . it may not be right for everyone. For those who love music and don't have the time to shed five or six instruments it's way cool."
-Vinnie R.

"This program has completely changed my playing for the good. I can experiment with playing chords and leads over various scenarios that I can quickly create and change. Love this program. I use it nearly every day."
-Dave R.

"I bought my first version in 1994 and have progressed to 2018 version. I use it to create backing tracks for live music performance. I currently have over 2,000 songs performance ready. If you can and type, and use mouse it will work for you."
-Roger M.

"The premiere reason for me for buying this program; it has given me the freedom to fully complete the foundation for my songs without the confinement of limited minded musicians. After the song concept is complete, it can then be presented those musicians to play as a cover song. Also writing a song with a band gives them partial ownership of your idea... not cool... especially since they may have fought your idea every step of the way.. Every member of an organized band should own a copy of this program to compose or to even give legitimate composition alternatives to the original songwriter."
-Paul V.

Thanks everyone!

Support for ABC Notation Format in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

ABC notation is the simple text-based notation system used by musicians worldwide to store chords, melody, and lyrics of songs. Now with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows you can open and save songs in ABC notation format!

To save the song in ABC notation format, press the [Save As] toolbar button and choose Save as ABC notation file from the menu. Once opened, select a track that you want to save and choose your other criteria - The [Copy to clipboard] button will copy the file to the clipboard (that you can then paste it into other programs). The [Save as File] button will let you type a name and select the destination in your hard drive.

Band-in-a-Box® Song Title Browser Requests Forum

Have you stumped the Song Title Browser feature in the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker?

If you tried to search for a popular song and this feature didn't offer you any listings, we'd love it if you'd let us know in our Wishlist forum here.

Posting your requests to this forum really does work - we used it to increase the database with the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 release!

Forum Stats
27103 Members
49 Forums
50242 Topics
412248 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
maforbaaby300, Antaren, jefflnash, LittleRedRodster, Cartoonman

27101 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 303
Matt Finley 280