You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#152962 - 03/09/12 08:08 PM Logic Pro 9.
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Long Beach California. United ...
Hi guys,

I recently heard a song on the user showcase forum done by Tommyc using Logic Pro 9 and BIAb.
It sounded pretty good. I was impress by the sound of Logic Pro.
Any ways I have some questions about the software.

1 Is there a version of the program for the PC?
If not, what equivalent program would you recommend
2 Is it stand alone or does it require a DAW?
3 And this is for any blinks who might read this message.
How Speech friendly is it?
4 Generally speaking what kind of loops can you get for the program?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tim

#152963 - 03/09/12 08:49 PM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Tim Lawrence]
RobbMiller Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Midwest
1. Sonar is generally considered the Windows PC equivalent of Logic.

2. Logic is a DAW. Not sure what you meant by "Stand Alone"

3. cannot help here

4. There is a massive amount of content available for Logic (and Sonar).

#152964 - 03/09/12 09:24 PM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: RobbMiller]
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Thanks much Rob.

LOL. I guess I really need to upgrade Sonar.
I'm still using version 1.0.
You actually answered 3 by answering number 1.
Sonar is accessible by speech software via some special scripts.
As for number 2 I thought maybe Pro Logic was a plugin.

Again thanks.
Time to bust open my piggy bank. LOLL.

Tim

#152965 - 03/10/12 08:14 AM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Tim Lawrence]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

I bought my used Macbook and Logic Pro 9 for a total of $281 with shipping from eBay. I couldn't tell you about the speech part, but Logic came with 6 DVDs of loops. I don't know if Sonor comes with loops or not. The best part about Logic is the plugin suites, you want a Bass to sound better you pick one of the many Bass suites. It will add all the right plugins to any instrument with very little adjustment needed. Mastering has it's own set of suites too! A friend of mine that owns a big studio in Dallas told me it's Protools sound for the beginner. I have found it incredibly easy to use, and it made my music sound much better. I used only presets on that song you listened to Tim no tweaking at all!

#152966 - 03/10/12 10:43 AM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Tommyc]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
One thing to keep in mind, A DAW does not make the sound the engineer makes the sound. DAWs work with digital 1s and 0s and they all sound exactly the same. I know it is a hotly argued subject all over the net, What plugin you use, and how you use the program is the difference. I recently did a detailed test using Sonar X1, Reaper 4.01, and RB starting with the same midi and audio tracks, mixing them the same way using basically the same plugins. Guess what you could not tell the difference. The RB song version was fine.

Now for speech software that is a totally different subject, i would imagine it would take some e-mails back and forth between you and the developers to see who has that capability.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#152967 - 03/10/12 11:02 AM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Robh]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Logic stopped producing software for PC after about version 5. Rat bastids.

#152968 - 03/10/12 11:03 AM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Robh]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
If you can get a macBook and Logic 9 with all of the content for under $300, then that is an incredible deal. I do know a few folks that have Logic and the workflow in it is very intuitive to my brain - but I'm used to a single-screen type of layout which Logic tends to stick with. Sonar does not do that, at least the versions that I've looked into over the years. It's possible this has changed, I don't know.

Tommy c - I need to pay you to shop for me. I'm getting my first Apple product next week, an iPhone 4s for work, and if I'm like most of the people I know that get started, they quickly join the other side with their computers, etc. quickly thereafter.

-Scott

#152969 - 03/11/12 09:32 AM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: rockstar_not]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

I still use a PC for PG products, cause I started out that way. I only use the Mac for Logic. I use to think the same as Robh till I tried it and everything sounded much better after. This could be due to the fact that I know little about recording techniques, but you just don't need to know that much with Logic. Too bad Windows doesn't have Bootcamp to run Mac on. When I shop Scott, it's gotta be on the cheap. I'm on disability and can't afford to impulse buy anything, but sometimes there is a long wait to find the right price. I paid $60 for my PC including shipping, and it was loaded with lots of recording software too. $200 Strat Ultra, $50 Dean acoustic, $10 Shure Sm81 condenser mic, everything I have is that way even my clothes too! My Mom taught me to be thrifty but I never thought it would come in handy till I got disabled.

#152970 - 03/11/12 10:22 AM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Tommyc]
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Thanks much guys for all your responses.

That's a great deal on that Macbook Tommyc
, I found a lot of good deals on EBay through the years.
Unfortunately it'll have to be the PC for me. I think the Mac is great, but by the time it became somewhat accessible for the blind I was already heavily invested in the PC monetarily and time wise.
It looks like It's time to upgrade Sonar.
Version 1.0 has worked well for me, but it is way behind the times.

Tim

#152971 - 03/11/12 11:03 AM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Tim Lawrence]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

You could just buy loops and use them in PG products if you wanted Tim. I still use Sonor version 2.1 sometimes when editing MIDI.

#152972 - 03/11/12 03:44 PM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Tommyc]
Tim Lawrence Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Tommyc, I hadn't thought of that.

Tim

#152973 - 03/12/12 12:07 PM Re: Logic Pro 9. [Re: Tim Lawrence]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
It's not about how much you know, or how much you spend really. It is about how much you are willing to work at it. Sonar, Logic, Cubase, and such do have better effects, and instruments than PTPA or RB, but not by as big of a gap as one might think. The PG plugs are just simple plugs, they do everything, but need to be experimented with to learn the capability.

As far as the sound that is a product of the way you mix, and the effects you use. I have used cakewalk products for 15 years now, and i really like them, but i find i can get the exact same results with RB. I added about a dozen or so solid plugins to the system, and i can get what i need from them.

Actually RB is pretty solid at both audio and midi now. I feel in the next couple version they will address the major issues and it will really come to the front of the pack and be a very powerful app.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

PG Music News
The Xtra Styles Song Contest for Band-in-a-Box

If you've purchased your Xtra Styles PAK for Band-in-a-Box 2016, make sure you enter the Xtra Styles Contest that we are running until September 30th! We have one prize for each category: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter. The winners will receive $150 US "PG Bucks" for a future Band-in-a-Box purchase!

Entering the contest is easy! Learn more about the contest, including how to submit your song, here!

We will announce the winners in October!

Xtra Styles PAKs Special Pricing - There's Still Time!

Attention all Band-in-a-Box 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, and Audiophile Edition customers!!!

If you haven't purchased your All Xtra Styles PAK yet, there's still time to enjoy our special pricing of just $29! This price is available until August 31st - more information is available at www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

What will you get?
164 NEW RealStyles, created using the RealTracks & RealDrums from the 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition.

What genres are available?
Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Singer Songwriter.

What is the special pricing?
$29 for all of 'em! (regular price: $49)
PLUS... we're offering a special bundle price during August: the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 & 2016 49-PAK Bundle for $49! (this is a $98 value!!!)

Why are we bundling these Xtra Styles with a 49-PAK during our special?
There are a handful of RealStyles within the new Xtra Styles which require the 49-PAK in order to work. If you purchased any UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition during our December/January special, it would not have included the 49-PAK.

If you don't have the 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition you can purchase your copy here - any of these purchases will include the 164 new RealStyles from the Xtra Styles PAK during the month of August!

There Are More Than 100 RealTracks Artists!

When you purchase all of our RealTracks and RealDrums, you're adding over 100 studio musicians to your band!

For a list of all of the RealTracks Artists, visit www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?os=win. From this page, you can read a short bio for each artist, and listen to demos of their RealTracks!

(To receive all of our RealTracks & RealDrums, purchase any UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile package)

Xtra Styles PAKs Are a HIT!

We recently released Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box® 2016. There are up to 164 RealStyles included for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter!

We're including these in every purchase of the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, and Audiophile Edition during the month of August! Already have one of these packages? Add the new RealStyles to your collection with a special price of just $29 (a $49 value!)

There's been some amazing feedback from users like you who've already purchased these - thank you!"..."These are some very creative new RealStyles!"..."Very interesting and effective selections - great job!"..."The Jazz styles are GREAT!"..."Xtra Styles PAKs saves me time to get on with the music making"..."There are some excellence combinations that I would never have thought to try - great service!"..."What a fine Set!"..."There's great value with the Xtra Styles PAKs!"..."Some of these combinations would never have occurred to me - great job PG Music!"..."These sound great... really nice combos!"..."What a great addition to the Jazz styles!"..."These sound VERY good. The Singer-Songwriter in particular!"..."I like the idea of New styles from old Real Tracks."..."Demonstrates the potential of mixing and matching!"..."These are FANTASTIC!"..."Xtra Styles PAKs - what a bargain!"..."I love these new RealStyles, and can use them as-is!"..."There are some great combinations I would never have considered trying."..."These sound brilliant - what a great deal!"..."I have already begun re-doing some current projects with some of these excellent new offerings, and my list of 'favorite' styles just jumped. The ingredients may have all been pulled from my existing pantry, but the new recipes sure do create some good new eatin' comin' out of the BIAB oven."..."WOW, these are awesome!"..."What a bargain - these sound great!"..."What a great summertime surprise!"..."Seriously impressed with these Xtra Styles! Thanks PG!"..."An excellent and very fresh alternatives to create songs with an amazing musical result. As guitar player, composer, arranger and song author myself, the Xtra Styles have given me great sounding options."..."I just purchased them and they sound great!"..."Wow, these are awesome!!!!!!!!"...

Have you already purchased your Xtra Styles PAK? We'd love to hear what you think!

Detailed Video Available for Xtra Styles PAKs!

Learn about ALL the just-released RealStyles included in the Xtra Styles PAKs when you watch this detailed video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Aev7xZXr-kk

Purchase all 164 of these new RealStyles with the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 package, on sale for only $29 during the month of August! Visit www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php to place your order today!

Did you already purchase this? Don't forget to share your songs to our User Showcase Forum - we'd love to hear how you used these new RealStyles in your song!

Video Overview - New Xtra Styles for Band-in-a-Box®

The just-released Xtra Styles PAK are a hit! Learn more about these new Band-in-a-Box® Add-ons when you watch our Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start and Demos video here: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=-7aJCe4-0x0

Additional demos and purchase options are available here: www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

To help introduce this new Add-on purchase option, we're offering SPECIAL Pricing when you purchase all 164 RealStyles included in the All Xtra Styles PAK 1! Only $29 until August 31st! (regular price: $49)

Plus, since a handful of these new RealStyles utilize RealTracks from the 2016 49-PAK, we're offering a special purchase option during the month of August: the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 & 2016 49-PAK Bundle for $49!

Not interested in all the different Genres? We also offer these new Xtra Styles in 4 categories: Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter for only $15 each.

www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Just Released - Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box 2016!

Now you can create new and exciting arrangments using professionally mixed RealStyles! We've been working hard, and have created 164 new RealStyles that we've split up into Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter! These new Add-ons require the Band-in-a-Box 2016 UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition.

Right now, purchase all 164 RealStyles for the introductory price of only $29! Interested in a specific genre? We've split them up, and they are available for $15 each.

Plus, since a handful of these new RealStyles utilize RealTracks from the 2016 49-PAK, we're offering a special purchase option: the All Xtra Styles PAK 1 & 2016 49-PAK Bundle for $49!

Visit www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php to listen to demos, watch the videos, or to purchase your Xtra Styles today!

*Special pricing available until August 31, 2016

Forum Stats
25051 Members
44 Forums
40824 Topics
326640 Posts

Max Online: 1591 @ 03/15/15 04:12 PM
Newest Members
David K Lee, Ezze, barbara2701, Philip360, Tincho

25051 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 158