Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#361396 - 08/17/16 11:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Ha! I owe you one David! M.

#361498 - 08/18/16 09:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
w Offline
Journeyman

Loc: somewhere in outer space
This is such a great song and I especially like how you put it together, as it suits your voice and style of playing very well. Excellent BinaB track choices.

#361501 - 08/18/16 10:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
This belongs in a Quentin Tarantino movie. Nice production, mix & vocal.

Good job!

Greg

#361510 - 08/19/16 01:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
PRADON Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FRANCE
Hi,

Your voice sounds like Nick Cave, at some point. You come from Australia, like him, maybe it's you wink
Your orchestration is very good, you did a good job.

#361570 - 08/19/16 02:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Matcham,

Very unique and stylish!
At times this makes me think of Leonard Cohen ( and that is a real compliment ;-))

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#361605 - 08/20/16 01:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Hey Tarantino, Cave and Cohen comparisons. I'll go with those!

#361784 - 08/21/16 05:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: 90 dB]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Matcham,

I really like this. Could you post the lyrics?

Regards,

Bob

I would also love to see the lyrics! Your vocal is wonderful-tons of personality and very relaxed and natural. Cello is beautiful-sounds custom played. Enjoyed this a lot!! Take care. Greg

#361787 - 08/21/16 06:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: floyd
A very interesting write, Matcham.

The music choice belies some of sharp edge of the lyric.

Good mix.

I am enjoying your songs.

.floyd

Hi Matcham,

I agree with floyd. You created an interesting juxtaposition between lyrics and music. To me, the effect is similar to that heard in the M*A*S*H theme... a beautiful melody supported by an equally beautiful chord progression and with lyrics that stand in stark contrast about suicide.

As I listened, 'Inventive' was a word that sprang to mind!

Regards,
Noel

#361797 - 08/22/16 01:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Greg. The lyrics are on the first page in this thread. The cello was an exciting find for sure. I simply played with volume swells to make the most of what was already there.

Noel thanks for your insight and 'getting' exactly what I was aiming for. Comparison with the M*A*S*H theme is humbling. What a great song, movie and series.

#361979 - 08/23/16 09:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Matcham,
After the 1st 2 listens I thought Eric Bogle and his song "the Band played Waltzing Matilda", partly because of your mention of that song and then I read the words. Possibly a different subject but just as dark and just as good.

You have written a great emotive song with hard lyrics.

That was a great listen, everything about the mix was great.

Alyn

#362093 - 08/24/16 04:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Alyn. I was referencing the Bogle song in fact. Waltzing Matilda as you may know is a famous Oz song - could have been our national anthem and should have been if sentimentalism had any say in our choice.

Matcham

#362095 - 08/24/16 04:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Matcham
... Waltzing Matilda as you may know is a famous Oz song - could have been our national anthem and should have been if sentimentalism had any say in our choice.

Matcham

Yes, Waltzing Matilda would have been much better. No more to add.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#362096 - 08/24/16 05:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Cool song. I like the insight you have in writing the lyrics. Creative. Yes.... the "sounds like" hit me too.

Everything sounds good to my ear... perhaps a bit muddy in the mix. Nothing major.

I noticed something else right at the start that I will elaborate on. This stuck out to me and my first thought was, "that cello isn't the same recorded tempo, it's filled with conversion artifacts, and it's not matching up " sure enough, when I looked at the tracks, the cello is from a RT that's practically half the speed of the others. It's always a good idea to pick RT's that were recorded at the same tempo as everything else in the song. Yeah, you can use the track but you get artifacts when it has to be tempo matched to the song tempo and it's out of the normal range. BB/RB will force the track to play at the song's tempo, but in that tempo conversion you get audible artifacts and in the cello, you can hear a false vibrato or wavering sound that's unnatural as a result. The natural vibrato at 85bpm would sound perfect, but when the track is forced faster, the vibrato becomes unnatural sounding. Not a super big deal, but if you're planning to use your music in a commercial manner, that would be important to watch out for. This sort of thing can happen to any RT that's used out of it's recommended tempo range.

I have noticed this in my song projects and that's why I mention it to you. You can ignore it or you can try to select tracks that are all in the same general tempo range. For example, your tracks were all in the 110 to 140 bpm range, while the cello was at 85. You either needed to slow the others down by selecting something in the 85 to 100 range or find a cello above 110 to have a more natural sound without the conversion artifacts. My rule of thumb is to choose track tempo's within 10 to 20% of the song's actual target tempo.

All in all, I like the song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#362172 - 08/24/16 02:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Hi Herb, thanks very much for your detailed feedback. You are exactly right about the cello track used. I must admit I hadn't noticed the artifacts - can now of course! Usually I try to match tempos more closely but had to use the cello in this case as it brings the song to life better than any other instrumentation I tried.

I consider the songs I'm posting here demos. I'm writing and producing at the same time. I want them to sound as good as I can for you guys and your valuable feedback then later on I hope to have a body of work to choose from for further development. By then I hope to have a lot more realtracks to choose from and I'll start to hit up mates for studio tracking. Maybe even some musos here on the forum?

No real commercial ambitions. Maybe some radio airplay and live band appearances. Flogging music is hard work and not enjoyable imo. I'd rather create!

#362688 - 08/27/16 10:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Walking In The Shadow [Re: Matcham]
rayc Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
Matcham,
Cool song - rather like Diamonds In The Mine & other Songs of Love & Hate by Leonard Cohen - it has the same countryish instrumentation but far from it lyrics and bitter humour.
The La Las fit in even more like Laughing' Lenny.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Song Titles Brower Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

In 2016, we added the Song Title Browser feature to the StylePicker within Band-in-a-Box, which filters the styles listed using your criteria: familiar song title, artist name, genre type.... with Version 2018 we made it even better!

We've added 2,000 new song titles, the option to filter the lists, added subgenres, and more! Visit http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm to see all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows.

YouTube Find - Triste - Hammond Organ + Band-in-a-Box®

Our latest search of "Band-in-a-Box" on YouTube has delivered some great videos, including this one by YouTube user Keith Horton!

YouTube Video - Triste - Hammond Organ + Band In A Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Forum Stats
26979 Members
49 Forums
49753 Topics
407409 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Anxing, robertgalp, sheski1, Frank Levingston, prasopal666

26979 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 408
Matt Finley 283