Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Until the 2017 update (UltraPlusPak and build 453)now I have used, quite happily, ForteDXi to play midi Styles when I have to.
Since the 2017 issue Forte DXi has disappeared completely and I have NO IDEA how to get it back or this SFORZANDO to work.
At the moment I am hearing midi styles as horrid plinkyplonky Wavetable sounds, or something similar.
As one who is pretty clueless (obviously) on anything midi - I dont have a midi keyboard or any sound suites (or whatever they are called) apart from Forte DXi - can someone please give me a step by step guide for getting decent sounds back for midi instruments. Please!!
Cheers
ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Until the 2017 update (UltraPlusPak and build 453)now I have used, quite happily, ForteDXi to play midi Styles when I have to.
Since the 2017 issue Forte DXi has disappeared completely and I have NO IDEA how to get it back or this SFORZANDO to work.
At the moment I am hearing midi styles as horrid plinkyplonky Wavetable sounds, or something similar.
As one who is pretty clueless (obviously) on anything midi - I dont have a midi keyboard or any sound suites (or whatever they are called) apart from Forte DXi - can someone please give me a step by step guide for getting decent sounds back for midi instruments. Please!!
Cheers
ian

It is all just so complex sometimes. crazy
So first of all, your Coyote Forte should not have disappeared with a simple over install of the new version. Did you install to a different directory? Nevertheless, it is still there.
Easiest thing to do is reinstall it. The download files are on the BIAB site. You will need your password to authorize. This came as an email when you first bought it.
Does that all sound doable?

Regarding the new VST. If you installed it, it should just work (for Hi-Q sounds when your Midi Super tracks call for it). However, reports in the forum suggest that it does first need to be inserted into the VST menu just like any other VST. Then you can direct any midi track to it.
Does that all sound doable?

Do you need pictures? I think you would be surprised how familiar this all it since it has been illustrated countless times here in the forum. But I am sure someone will post the details if needed.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah! - I NEED pictures. crazy
I still have my serial number for the Forte DXi but I cant see where I DL it - only BUY it - and I did that years ago.
What beefs me is that it was all fine until the 2017. Now I'm stuck with only half a BiaB - a very good half (I actually prefer RTs cos I understand them) - but still only half!!
So - am I right?- the ForteDXi replaces the Wavetable sounds and the Sforzando is for Hi-Q sounds, which BTW do NOT play. I can see them working in the mixer but no sound.
All help always appreciated.
Ian

Videos-
Veteran
Veteran
You may only need to go back to the DX/VST screen and rescan your DXi synths. Installing 2017 should not have uninstalled Coyote Forte. But it is available via the computer registry, and that's where the scan will find it. If it doesn't, then there may be a problem with your registry. I would then just re-install and re-enter the serial number.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah! - I NEED pictures. crazy
I still have my serial number for the Forte DXi but I cant see where I DL it - only BUY it - and I did that years ago.

You can "Download Demo" here. It is fully functional and just needs you serial number to fully register.

http://www.pgmusic.com/coyotefortedxi.audvid.htm

Here is a clue to getting both VST and Dxi set up:

Last edited by MusicStudent; 12/12/16 01:43 PM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
1. What John said: 2017 should not have messed with Forte DXi - also do as John suggested do a "rescan."

2. To use the new SForzando HI-Q sounds you WILL need to add the VSTi for SForzando to your plug-ins (one time thing). The following is a long winded description and background for the non-VST plug-in user (at the end a how to add the SFozando sfz player) :

VSTi's, unlike DXi's (like Forte DXi or SampleTank 2's DXi), are NOT automatically scanned for by BAIB and added to your plugins lists.

DXi' are in the system Registry and can easily be found by ANY program since they ARE in the registry and in a fixed location in the registry. VST's and VSTi's are NOT always in the registry and the files (.dll's for the VST's and VSTi's) can be ALL over the computer.

Unfortunately It's up to USER to KNOW where they are or where they were installed. Having said that, the USUAL DEFAULT install locations for most VST/VSTi are in these folders (I'm talking in general here, I am talking about the SForzando plug in YET):

64 bit VSTi/VSTi (or 32 bit plug-ins if the OS is a 32 bit OS)

C:\Program Files\"owning program name" (like CAKEWALK) \VstPlugins
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns
C:\Program Files\Vst

32 bit VST/VSTi plug-ins installed on a 64 bit OS

C:\Program Files (x86)\"owning program name" (like CAKEWALK) \VstPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugIns
C:\Program Files (x86)\Vst

3. To install the SForzando sfz plyer to use the new HI-Q sounds (which by the way you ALSO have to SEPARATELY AND CONSCIOUSLY INSTALL) you will be looking for a file called

"sforzando VST_x86.dll"

and whatever directory that's in that's where you will tell BIAB to look for the VSTi when you select

"add VSTi plugin"

from the BIAB Plug-ins pull down menu.

MINE was here because this is where I keep 99% of my plugins (also I have a few versions of Plogue's players so mine not be the EXACT place yours is)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugIns\Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc\sforzando VST_x86.dll"

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB plugin window.jpg (85.52 KB, 154 downloads)
Scan for DXi.jpg (114.32 KB, 154 downloads)
add VSTi.jpg (135.5 KB, 154 downloads)

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, I cannot get Coyote Forte back...
Ther default synth is now STank 3 and every time I want to use it BiaB simply "disapears" (closes). I have checked and the program (Coyote Forte) is on my computer with its dll, and I have placed it in the Steinberg plug ins, but everytime I want to load it as the default synth in BiaB, it is rejected as "non compatible" VSTi
Bernard

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bernard
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, I cannot get Coyote Forte back...
Ther default synth is now STank 3 and every time I want to use it BiaB simply "disapears" (closes). I have checked and the program (Coyote Forte) is on my computer with its dll, and I have placed it in the Steinberg plug ins, but everytime I want to load it as the default synth in BiaB, it is rejected as "non compatible" VSTi
Bernard

Before I even start - do you mean that you originally INSTALLED Coyote Forte in the Steinberg folder (which is a VST folder - but no harm no foul)? If that's the case ignore next question

or do you mean, AFTER you installed Coyote Forte somewhere, at some time in the past, you recently MOVED its .dll? If that's the case - MOVE IT BACK to where you found it!

Forte is a DXi, not a VSTi, and you can't just move the application's .dll like you can for most VST's. If you don't remember where that .dll was simply re-install Coyote Forte

Now to your problem (assuming you did NOT move the .dll) I recommend:

1. Reset BIAB to factory defaults

2. Then in your Plug ins pull down, select Options, then do a rescan for DX's

3. Now verify "ForteDXi Plugin" is in your list.

4. If it is there there pick it if you want to use it and you're done, if not

5. Now find the file "DXiPluginList.ini" in your \BB folder and either DELETE it or rename it and then RE-SCAN FOR DX's (step 2). if Coyote is indeed installed CORRECTLY it will now show up

Good luck

Larry

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1 for coyote.jpg (98.99 KB, 104 downloads)
2 for coyote.jpg (110.43 KB, 104 downloads)

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dan and Larry and thank you so much for the info.
I followed Larry's point to point and it looks like Sforanzo is in the right slot - BUT when I play a midi style, the Mixer sliders are moving but I only get SILENCE. Is that because Sforanzo is only for Hi-Q sounds and wont play the usual midi sounds.
Forte certainly used to do t6his AFAIK.
So -two questions - how do I get sound for my midi instruments if Sforanzo is only for Hi-Q? I'd abandon Sforanzo for Forte if I cant run both, or that both will not run, if wanting Sforanzo for a Hi-Q track and Forte for a midi track in the same SGU.
and 2 - looking at the pic of my installation, where would I put Forte DXi so that it plays them?
Sorry if all this is so elementary to those who use midi all the time. I'm a RT Man cos I understand the audio, but this completely foxes me.
Bests
Ian

MIDIAudio Drivers Setup1.jpg (176.15 KB, 97 downloads)
Last edited by sixchannel; 12/13/16 08:46 AM.

Videos-
Veteran
Veteran
Is that because Sforanzo is only for Hi-Q sounds and wont play the usual midi sounds.

No Sforanzo can be loaded onto any midi track and will play. But you have to select thwe sound it plays. Not the case with Coyote which takes its que direcrtly from BIAB (that is what GM Compatible means).

I'd abandon Sforanzo for Forte if I cant run both, or that both will not run, if wanting Sforanzo for a Hi-Q track and Forte for a midi track in the same SGU.

Both can run at the same time (but not on the same track of course). Stick with it. I see you have Sforanzo installed where Coyote needs to go... Change them and you will again hear Coyote

Last edited by MusicStudent; 12/13/16 08:57 AM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Is that because Sforanzo is only for Hi-Q sounds and wont play the usual midi sounds.

No Sforanzo can be loaded onto any midi track and will play. But you have to select thwe sound it plays. Not the case with Coyote which takes its que direcrtly from BIAB (that is what GM Compatible means).

I'd abandon Sforanzo for Forte if I cant run both, or that both will not run, if wanting Sforanzo for a Hi-Q track and Forte for a midi track in the same SGU.

Both can run at the same time (but not on the same track of course). Stick with it. I see you have Sforanzo installed where Coyote needs to go... Change them and you will again hear Coyote

Yes!! It looks like I have my Forte sounds AND Sforanzo too!
If I load a midi style and change an instrument, I see that Hi-Q is listed. As an experiment I changed a n acoustic piano on the original Style to a Hi-Q Organ and it looks like it worked.
Thanks for all the help.
Ian

Videos-
Veteran
Veteran
You can't use Sforzando as your default GM synth. It's not designed to do that (just like you couldn't use SampleTank as your default GM synth unless you had the OmniSynth sound set, and even then drums were a problem). Sforzando is used when you want to substitute one of the standard GM sounds from your GM synth with a different sound on a track by track basis. Using the HQ-Sounds is accomplished by BIAB loading a TGS file, which tells Sforzando which instrument to load. However, if you just select Sforzando on a track that is not an HQ sound, then you will have to open Sforzando on that track and load the instrument manually.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
You can't use Sforzando as your default GM synth. It's not designed to do that (just like you couldn't use SampleTank as your default GM synth unless you had the OmniSynth sound set, and even then drums were a problem). Sforzando is used when you want to substitute one of the standard GM sounds from your GM synth with a different sound on a track by track basis. Using the HQ-Sounds is accomplished by BIAB loading a TGS file, which tells Sforzando which instrument to load. However, if you just select Sforzando on a track that is not an HQ sound, then you will have to open Sforzando on that track and load the instrument manually.

Thanks John. I hadnt realised that. This midi thing is new to me, having used RTs for my SGUs and the Forte when i "HAD" to use a midi style or track.
I never,ever got that Sampletank to work despite loads of help and i thought this was going the same way.
BTW - I had to redownload FORTE to get it to work. No idea why - it was ok before 2017 453.
Cheers
Ian

Videos-
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
OK, Larry and thanks for your detailed explanations, but it simply does not work... The Coyote Forte .dll is well in the Coyote Forte folder, where it has been from begin on (and there is a copy of the .dll in the BiaB folder). In any case I have re-installed the coyote under the same folder in my programs list (where it always was).

I have renamed, in the BiaB folder the configuration DXiPluginlist, so it should not be there for BiaB to look at.

(When I open in BiaB the option/Midi set-up, I HAVE the coyote Forte apearing at the top of the Synthtiser/Sound card column).

Now, when I try to re-scan (under options in the VST/DX Synths), nothing happens. When I try to "add" a new VST plugin and try to open the Forte .dll, I get a screen telling me that Forte is not a valid plugin and that's it. (Same happens if I try to do the same with the TTS.dll).
Bernard

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bernard
OK, Larry and thanks for your detailed explanations, but it simply does not work... The Coyote Forte .dll is well in the Coyote Forte folder, where it has been from begin on (and there is a copy of the .dll in the BiaB folder). In any case I have re-installed the coyote under the same folder in my programs list (where it always was).

I have renamed, in the BiaB folder the configuration DXiPluginlist, so it should not be there for BiaB to look at.

(When I open in BiaB the option/Midi set-up, I HAVE the coyote Forte apearing at the top of the Synthtiser/Sound card column).

Now, when I try to re-scan (under options in the VST/DX Synths), nothing happens. When I try to "add" a new VST plugin and try to open the Forte .dll, I get a screen telling me that Forte is not a valid plugin and that's it. (Same happens if I try to do the same with the TTS.dll).
Bernard

Bernard, you appear to have dropped out of nowhere into this thread?? You would do your self well to start a new thread so we can more clearly follow your issue. Just sayin. crazy

Veteran
Veteran
Members of this great forum.

Really great information regarding the subject.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Veteran
Veteran
Bernard, once Forte is in the list from the scan, you don't need to "add new VST"; you just need to select it. You don't "open" the Forte or TTS-1 DLL, you just select from the list.

The list includes all the DX/DXi's found in the registry, as well as other VST/VSTi effects/synths you've added. Once in the list, you don't have to add it again. You may have to scroll up or down to see it, but it should be there.

John

Veteran
Veteran
what JOHN said.

Forte is a DXi NOT a VSTi so you should not even TRY TO ADD IT. A DX/DXi is either SEEN by BIAB (after scanning/re-scanning to ensure it is listed) and you just select it to use it, or

it's not "seen" by BIAB in which case you have a DX/DXi application install issue.

Also if we need to keep at this - MusicStudent is correct you need to start a new thread about "Forte missing or not working" or something becasue we have hi-jacked Sixchannel's thread.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/13/16 01:31 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,665
Posts735,643
Members38,533
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Elizabeth Stephen, Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77
38,533 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176