Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#400813 - 03/15/17 07:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Great relaxing tune, enjoyable chord progression, like going back to 70's. Everything in place in the arrangement and the sax is the cherry on the top. It is also amazing how the music and lyric together create the melancholy sea atmosphere. And not to forget the superb vocals by one of the best vocalists on this forum. One of the best songs of the year so far smile

Janne

#400863 - 03/15/17 10:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.

"Comments from you guys is the only feedback I get."

Same here Greg, glad this forum and group are here.

It's so nice to have you back around here,
This is a beautiful song and I love the ideas and images
in this.

Kenny

#400872 - 03/15/17 11:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Greg,

This is so beautiful and so powerful.

"On distant shores, fires warm the homes
Families share an evening meal and no one feels alone
But on the sailing ships, emptiness abounds
The ocean sings a low, sad hymn to this hopeless lost and found"

Amazing writing.

Gorgeous production.

I could listen to this all day long...

We are lucky to be witness to your talent...

floyd

#401014 - 03/16/17 04:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Greg,

You certainly know how to shape a melody, choose the right notes and craft the best words so that a person's heartstrings resonate. The ambience you create with your composing, your singing and your arranging is magical. To my ears, everything about this is first class music.

All the best,
Noel

#401037 - 03/16/17 07:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Excellent! Doesn't get much better than this. Love your vocal! Backtrack is perfect, especially liked the bass and the sax. Best of luck with the CD!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#401241 - 03/17/17 11:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Gorgeous Greg. Loved the chord progression, especially the part during "sailing ships...." in the chorus, love that diminishment (even if it isn't a diminished chord per se) and the sax solo is wonderful.

Your vocals are outstanding here. Really, really good.

And the lyrics are superb.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#401692 - 03/20/17 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Beautiful vocal Greg. Am a little late posting as I was down traveling around in your home state for about a week. Pretty hot down there for this Canadian kid.

Loved your vocal, lyric and backtrack. Well done

#401805 - 03/20/17 03:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Marvelous melody! Some sophisticated structure and writing. And your vocal nails it.

And I love the instrumentation you've used.

Wonderful song.

#402399 - 03/24/17 08:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Achordocaster]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Hey Greg,

This is very nice. Everything sits together well. The sax sounds great! So does your vocal. The transition to Sailing Ships is cool. I like the strings too... Great Job!

Thanks so much Greg. Much appreciated! Been loving your stuff lately! Take care. Greg

#402400 - 03/24/17 08:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: VideoTrack]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Marvelous Greg

Well written and produced.

This song stands out with the cool style, the sax work, the melody and the sensational vocal delivery.

Another winner.

Thanks Trevor. I really appreciate your consistent wonderful support! Take care. Greg

#402539 - 03/24/17 03:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Excellent song and vocal.
Real tracks used are very great. Super sax ending.

Sergio

Sergio

#403552 - 03/25/17 10:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Stunning, Greg !

I love this not only for
your superb vocals but also
for the Bacharachian chords
! A Masterpiece allthrough !

Cheers
Greg

#403936 - 03/27/17 10:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: RichMac]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Greg.
Your music, vocals and lyrics are so tasteful and evocative of the scenes described.
The two pieces certainly belong together.
Beautiful music. Very skillful production. Thank you. Cheers.

Thanks so much for the very kind words Richard. Wonderful to have you around the forum again! Take care. Greg

#407003 - 04/12/17 02:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Skyline]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Skyline
A superb piece Greg, with lovely changes that reflect the shifting emotions of the lyrics. Expertly sung, arranged and engineered. Sounds like this will be a pretty impressive collection of songs.

John

Thanks so much John. Your last one really blew me away! Incredible!! Take care. Greg

#407005 - 04/12/17 02:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: PeterF]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg,
A really pretty piece and it compliments the Lighthouse Keeper track perfectly.
Really nice up front vocal and the track has been beautifully mixed with the haunting sax playing a strong role.
Very atmospheric and well composed.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I was glad to finally find a home for this long lost melody. I felt like it really fit with the Lighthouse keeper lyrically and melodically. Thanks for your support. I'm diggin' the songs your posting! Take care. Greg

#407006 - 04/12/17 02:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: rsdean]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Greg,

I really like this song - excellent lyric and vocal. Your mix is also great - loved the sax.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Much appreciated. The sax RT just happened to fit really well-had a custom feel. I love it when that happens! You're doing a lot of great stuff lately!! Take care. Greg

#407007 - 04/12/17 02:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This is over the top good. The lighthouse light is shining bright. Looking forward to release of your CD. You are one of my favorite vocalists on the forum, or anywhere for that matter. This is a very sophisticated write, arrangement, mix, performance and production. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

Thanks so much Charlie for your wonderfully kind words and consistent support! Your last one was really good. Looking forward to your next! Take care. Greg

#407008 - 04/12/17 02:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: 90 dB]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Greg,

Great project, great songs. Good luck with the CD.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks so much Bob! Just listened to one of your old ones, which I thought was a new one. Couldn't disagree with you more on the vocal-it is BEAUTIFUL!!! Take care. Greg

#407025 - 04/12/17 05:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Greg Johnson]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I'm late and everything has been said that I was going to say. Things like great lyrics, arrangement, mic, orchestration, mix, and of course your super excellent vocals.

Let us know when the CD comes out.

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#407172 - 04/13/17 02:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Sailing Ships [Re: Janice & Bud]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Lighthouse remains one of our favorite tunes of yours.

We think you richly fulfilled your goal with this reprise. It is beautifully written, sung and produced.

And we have no doubt that equally excellent material will lie between these two compositions on the CD!

Kudos.

J&B

Thanks so much J and B for the very kind review! You guys are so kind. Loved the vocal in the recent post-Janice killed it!! Take care. Greg

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Forum Stats
28080 Members
57 Forums
54443 Topics
450155 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
collcoll, Vocaloidgirl9980, wumaimsd, boxx.dk, Boto

28080 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 175
David Snyder 140